U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
State Profile and Energy Estimates
Choose a U.S. State or Territory
- Illinois is a key transportation hub for crude oil and natural gas moving throughout North America, with eight crude oil pipelines, nine petroleum product pipelines, more than a dozen interstate natural gas pipelines, two natural gas market centers, and two oil ports.
- Illinois leads the Midwest in crude oil refining capacity and ranked fourth in the nation as of January 2015.
- In 2013, Illinois ranked second in the nation in recoverable coal reserves at producing mines.
- With a production capacity of 1.5 billion gallons per year, Illinois is the third largest producer of ethanol.
- Illinois ranked first in the nation in 2015 in both generating capacity and net electricity generation from nuclear power. Generation from nuclear power plants in Illinois accounted for more than 12% of the nation’s nuclear power.
Last Updated: March 17, 2016
More Data & Analysis in Illinois
Illinois, U.S. Rankings
|Total Energy per Capita||25|
|Total Energy per Capita||37|
|Carbon Dioxide Emissions||4|
Today In Energy
Illinois at a GlanceIllinois
Energy Highlights ›
Fact Sheet ›