U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
The U.S. Energy Information Administration is committed to enhancing the value of its free and open data by making it available through an Application Programming Interface (API) and open data tools to better serve our customers. The data in the API is also available in bulk file, in Excel via the add-in, in Google Sheets via an add-on, and via widgets that embed interactive data vizualizations of EIA data on any website. By making EIA data available in machine-readable formats, the creativity in the private, the non-profit, and the public sectors can be harnessed to find new ways to innovate and create value-added services powered by public data.
Currently, EIA's API contains the following main data sets:
- Hourly electricity operating data, including actual and forecast demand, net generation, and the power flowing between electric systems
- 408,000 electricity series organized into 29,000 categories
- 30,000 State Energy Data System series organized into 600 categories
- 115,052 petroleum series and associated categories
- 34,790 U.S. crude imports series and associated categories
- 11,989 natural gas series and associated categories
- 132,331 coal series and associated categories
- 3,872 Short-Term Energy Outlook series and associated categories
- 368,466 Annual Energy Outlook series and associated categories
- 92,836 International energy series
The EIA API is offered as a free public service, although registration is required. Your registration and compliance with the API Terms of Service Agreement will help EIA monitor usage and ensure service availability. EIA data is provided free of charge and should be used in compliance with our Copyrights and Reuse page.
Got feedback? If you have recommendations regarding how we are implementing our API or are developing an app or mash-up using our data, we want to hear from you. Use this feedback form to share your comments and activities.
Application Programming Interface (API)
Embed Graphs & Maps