U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
State Profile and Energy Estimates
Choose a U.S. State or Territory
- Idaho is rich in renewable energy resources; the state's volcanic formations provide substantial geothermal energy potential.
- In 2015, 75% of Idaho’s utility-scale net electricity generation came from renewable energy resources, and Idaho was tied with West Virginia for the sixth lowest average electricity prices in the United States.
- In 2015, Idaho's in-state net electricity generation equaled 66% of the state's total electric industry retail sales. The remainder came from other states and international imports.
- Hydroelectric power supplied 54% of net electricity generation in Idaho in 2015, the fourth largest share in the nation. Drought reduced hydropower's share from the average 74% of the previous 10 years.
- Idaho's wind generation provided 16% of utility-scale net electricity generation in 2015
Last Updated: November 17, 2016
More Data & Analysis in Idaho
Idaho, U.S. Rankings
|Total Energy per Capita||24|
|Total Energy per Capita||32|
|Carbon Dioxide Emissions||44|
Today In Energy
Idaho at a GlanceHousehold
Fact Sheet ›