U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
State Profile and Energy Estimates
Choose a U.S. State or Territory
- South Dakota ranked sixth in the nation in ethanol production capacity in 2016, with 6.8% of the U.S. total.
- In 2016, hydroelectric power provided the largest share (39.9%) of South Dakota's net electricity generation.
- Wind power provided about 30% of South Dakota’s total net electricity generation in 2016.
- South Dakotans’ price for electricity averaged 9.79 cents per kilowatthour in 2016 across all sectors, compared to the national average of 10.28 cents per kilowatthour.
- The National Renewable Energy Laboratory estimates that about 94% of South Dakota's land area is suitable for wind resource development using current technology.
Last Updated: March 16, 2017
More Data & Analysis in South Dakota
South Dakota, U.S. Rankings
|Total Energy per Capita||7|
|Total Energy per Capita||8|
|Carbon Dioxide Emissions||46|
Today In Energy
South Dakota at a GlanceSouth Dakota
Energy Highlights ›