U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
State Profile and Energy Estimates
Choose a U.S. State or Territory
- Texas was the leading crude oil-producing state in the nation in 2015 and exceeded production levels even from the federal offshore areas.
- As of January 2016, the 29 petroleum refineries in Texas had a capacity of over 5.4 million barrels of crude oil per day and accounted for 30% of total U.S. refining capacity.
- Texas accounted for over 27% of U.S. marketed natural gas production in 2015, making it the leading natural gas producer among the states.
- Texas leads the nation in wind-powered generation capacity with more than 18,500 megawatts; in 2014 and 2015, Texas wind turbines produced more electricity than the state's two nuclear plants.
- Texas is the nation's largest producer of lignite coal. About 40% of the coal burned for electricity generation in Texas is lignite.
Last Updated: January 19, 2017
More Data & Analysis in Texas
Texas, U.S. Rankings
|Total Energy per Capita||6|
|Total Energy per Capita||5|
|Carbon Dioxide Emissions||1|
Today In Energy
Texas at a GlanceTexas
Energy Highlights ›
Fact Sheet ›