U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
State Profile and Energy Estimates
Choose a U.S. State or Territory
- The Delaware City refinery, with a capacity of about 182,200 barrels per day, is one of two coking refineries on the East Coast.
- In 2014, 63% of the petroleum consumed in Delaware was used by the transportation sector, most of it as motor gasoline.
- In 2015, Delaware generated 85% of its electricity from natural gas and 8% from coal.
- Delaware's finance and insurance industries contribute a larger share to the state's Gross Domestic Product (27.7% in 2014) than in any other state.
- Delaware's renewable portfolio standard requires retail electricity suppliers to generate 25% of the electricity sold in the state from renewable energy resources, with at least 3.5% from photovoltaics, by the compliance year June 2025-May 2026.
Last Updated: July 21, 2016
More Data & Analysis in Delaware
Delaware, U.S. Rankings
|Total Energy per Capita||29|
|Total Energy per Capita||33|
|Carbon Dioxide Emissions||48|
Today In Energy
Delaware at a GlanceHousehold
Fact Sheet ›