U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
State Profile and Energy Estimates
Choose a U.S. State or Territory
- In 2015, Indiana ranked eighth among the states in coal production and third in coal consumption. The state's industrial sector was third nationwide in coal consumption.
- Indiana’s industrial sector, which includes manufacturers of aluminum, chemicals, glass, metal casting, and steel, consumed more energy in 2014 than the residential sector and the commercial sector combined.
- As of January 2016, Indiana's Whiting oil refinery had the largest processing capacity of any refinery outside the Gulf Coast region.
- Indiana is the nation's fifth largest producer of both corn and ethanol. One of every 8 gallons of U.S. ethanol production capacity is in Indiana.
- A geothermal heating and cooling system is being installed at Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana, to replace an aging coal-fired power plant and enable the university to halve its carbon footprint.
Last Updated: April 20, 2017
More Data & Analysis in Indiana
Indiana, U.S. Rankings
|Total Energy per Capita||9|
|Total Energy per Capita||15|
|Carbon Dioxide Emissions||8|
Today In Energy
Indiana at a GlanceIndiana
Energy Highlights ›