U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
State Profile and Energy Estimates
Choose a U.S. State or Territory
- Excluding federal offshore areas, New Mexico ranked sixth in crude oil production in the nation in 2015.
- New Mexico’s marketed production of natural gas rose in the past three years to account for 4.3% of U.S. marketed natural gas production in 2015, which was nevertheless a 27% decline from its 2000 peak.
- New Mexico has 26% of the nation's coalbed methane proved reserves, second only to Colorado in the United States.
- In 2015, New Mexico ranked sixth in the nation in utility-scale electricity generation from solar energy.
- New Mexico reservations have abundant renewable energy potential, including solar, wind, geothermal, and biomass resources.
Last Updated: January 19, 2017
More Data & Analysis in New Mexico
New Mexico, U.S. Rankings
|Total Energy per Capita||22|
|Total Energy per Capita||30|
|Carbon Dioxide Emissions||37|
Today In Energy
New Mexico at a GlanceHousehold
Fact Sheet ›