Does EIA publish electricity consumption and price data by state and by utility?
Yes, the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) publishes retail electricity sales (a proxy for the majority of end-use electricity consumption) and retail electricity prices by state, by type of end-use (consuming) sector, by type of provider (utilities and power marketers), and for individual providers. Monthly and annual retail sales and retail price data (preliminary and final) are available in several reports and data files.
Electric Power Monthly—preliminary data by state and consuming sector for most recent month and for year-to-date
- Sales—Tables 5.4.A and 5.4.B; total annual sales are published in Table 5.4.B of the February edition
- Prices—Tables 5.6.A and 5.6.B; average annual prices are published in Table 5.6.B of the February edition
Electric Power Annual—final annual data by state and by consuming sector for the two most recent years available
- Sales—Table 2.8
- Prices—Table 2.10
Electric Sales, Revenue, and Average Price—annual sales and average annual prices by state and by individual providers.
Form EIA-861M detailed data—preliminary and final monthly and annual data back to 1990 in sales and revenue files on the right side of the page. The files include data for U.S. territories.
- Aggregated file—sales and prices by state and type of consuming sector
- Year files—revenue and sales (divide revenue by sales to calculate price) by state, by type of provider, by consuming sector, and by major individual utilities
Detailed state data files—final annual data by state, type of provider, and consuming sector back to 1990
State Energy Data System—annual electricity consumption (retail sales) and average annual prices by state and end-use (consuming) sectors back to 1960 or 1970. Data are available in units of trillion British thermal units (Btu) (there are 3,412 Btu in a kilowatthour) and in physical units (million kilowatthours) in the files for full reports and data files.
EIA also publishes historical state-level annual retail sales and annual direct use electricity, and retail prices, back to 1990 in the State Electricity Profiles. Total annual retail sales plus annual direct use electricity equal total annual electricity consumption. At each State Electric Profile page, scroll down the page to find the link at left for full data tables 1–14. The file has worksheets for each table.
- Tables 1 and 10—total retail sales by type of provider and total direct use electricity
- Table 3—sales by top five providers by type of consuming sector
- Table 8—sales and prices by type of consuming sector
Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
Factors Affecting Electricity Prices
Last updated: January 10, 2019
Other FAQs about Prices
- Are prices published by EIA adjusted for inflation?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- Does EIA have gasoline prices by city, county, or zip code?
- Does EIA have historical gasoline prices for each state?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish coking coal prices?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- Does EIA publish electricity consumption and price data by state and by utility?
- Does EIA publish inflation-adjusted gasoline prices?
- Does EIA publish off-road diesel fuel prices?
- How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
- How do I compare the cost of heating fuels?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Why am I being charged more for propane than the price on EIA's website?
- Why are diesel fuel prices higher than gasoline prices?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and on a gallon of diesel fuel?
- What are Ccf, Mcf, Btu, and therms? How do I convert natural gas prices in dollars per Ccf or Mcf to dollars per Btu or therm?
- What are the different coal prices published by EIA?
- What are the projections for U.S. gasoline and diesel fuel prices?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What is the price or cost of natural gas for U.S. electric power producers?