What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) publishes forecasts for average residential heating fuel prices for each winter in the October through March editions of the Short-Term Energy Outlook (STEO), Table WF01. Average Consumer Prices and Expenditures for Heating Fuels During the Winter. The forecast is for natural gas, heating oil, propane, and electricity on a national and regional level.
There are also forecasts for U.S. average annual and monthly residential prices of natural gas, heating oil, and electricity in Table 2. U.S. Energy Prices, and regional forecasts for residential natural gas prices in Table 5b and for residential electricity prices in Table 7c.
Last updated: October 19, 2020
Other FAQs about Prices
- How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- Why are diesel fuel prices higher than gasoline prices?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and on a gallon of diesel fuel?
- Does EIA publish inflation-adjusted gasoline prices?
- Are prices published by EIA adjusted for inflation?
- Does EIA publish off-road diesel fuel prices?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- What are the different coal prices published by EIA?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- Does EIA have historical gasoline prices for each state?
- What are the projections for U.S. gasoline and diesel fuel prices?
- What are Ccf, Mcf, Btu, and therms? How do I convert natural gas prices in dollars per Ccf or Mcf to dollars per Btu or therm?
- What is the price or cost of natural gas for U.S. electric power producers?
- Does EIA publish data on peak or hourly electricity generation, demand, and prices?
- Why am I being charged more for heating oil or propane than the price on EIA's website?
- Does EIA publish coking coal prices?
- Does EIA publish energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA publish electricity consumption and price data by state and by utility?
- Does EIA publish gasoline prices by city, county, or zip code?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How do I compare the cost of heating fuels?