What is the price or cost of natural gas for U.S. electric power producers?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) publishes data on the price and the cost of natural gas for electricity generation. The main difference between these two data series relates to the types of electricity producers that the data applies to and the sources of the data. The following information applies to data for the price and the cost of natural gas for electricity generation published since 2013.
EIA collects natural gas cost data by survey from electric power plants with 200 megawatts (MW) of nameplate electricity generation capacity that are primarily fueled by natural gas. This cost includes all costs incurred in the purchase and delivery of natural gas to those power plants. The power plants are owned by electricity producers whose primary business is generating and selling electricity (electric utilities and independent power producers) and commercial and industrial entities with power plants that produce electricity primarily used in their facilities.
EIA publishes a natural gas electric power price, which is the average of the natural gas cost data described above for electric utilities and independent power producers, for the United States and for each state, in dollars per thousand cubic feet (Mcf):
EIA publishes the cost of natural gas for electricity generation by electric utilities, independent power producers, the commercial sector, and the industrial sector, and the average cost of natural gas for all of these types of electricity producers (in aggregate categorized as the electric power industry) in the following reports and survey database:
- Electric Power Monthly—Chapter 4: monthly and annual average cost of natural gas by types of power plant owners and by state, in dollars per million British thermal units (MMBtu) and in dollars per Mcf
- Electric Power Annual—Chapter 7: average annual cost of natural gas by types of power plant owners and by state, in dollars per MMBtu
- EIA-923 survey database—monthly and annual average cost of natural gas for individual power plants by type of purchase/contract in cents per MMBtu. See file “EIA923_Schedules_2…” and file worksheet “Page 5 Fuel Receipts and Costs.”
The average natural gas prices/costs are averages weighted on the basis of the amount of natural gas purchased by each type of electricity producer.
Natural gas prices by type of consumer and definitions and explanatory notes for those natural gas prices
Instructions for EIA-923 survey; see, on page 4, Schedule 2. Part A. Contract Information, Purchase, and Costs
Last updated: April 1, 2020
Other FAQs about Prices
- Are prices published by EIA adjusted for inflation?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- Does EIA have historical gasoline prices for each state?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish coking coal prices?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- Does EIA publish electricity consumption and price data by state and by utility?
- Does EIA publish energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA publish gasoline prices by city, county, or zip code?
- Does EIA publish inflation-adjusted gasoline prices?
- Does EIA publish off-road diesel fuel prices?
- How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
- How do I compare the cost of heating fuels?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Why am I being charged more for heating oil or propane than the price on EIA's website?
- Why are diesel fuel prices higher than gasoline prices?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and on a gallon of diesel fuel?
- What are Ccf, Mcf, Btu, and therms? How do I convert natural gas prices in dollars per Ccf or Mcf to dollars per Btu or therm?
- What are the different coal prices published by EIA?
- What are the projections for U.S. gasoline and diesel fuel prices?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What is the price or cost of natural gas for U.S. electric power producers?