Are prices published by EIA adjusted for inflation?
Unless otherwise indicated, the prices published on the website of the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) are nominal prices or prices that have not been adjusted to remove the effect of changes in the purchasing power of the U.S. dollar. Prices that are adjusted for changes in the purchasing power of the U.S. dollar are identified as real prices.
EIA has a Real Prices Viewer that provides average annual, monthly, and quarterly real prices for imported crude oil, retail regular grade gasoline, retail diesel fuel, retail heating oil, and residential electricity and residential natural gas.
Last updated: March 8, 2022
Other FAQs about Prices
- Why are diesel fuel prices higher than gasoline prices?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and on a gallon of diesel fuel?
- Does EIA publish inflation-adjusted gasoline and diesel fuel prices?
- Does EIA publish off-road diesel fuel prices?
- Are prices published by EIA adjusted for inflation?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- Does EIA have historical gasoline prices for each state?
- What are the projections for U.S. gasoline and diesel fuel prices?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- Does EIA publish energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- What are Ccf, Mcf, Btu, and therms? How do I convert natural gas prices in dollars per Ccf or Mcf to dollars per Btu or therm?
- How do I compare the cost of heating fuels?
- Does EIA have forecasts or projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish data on peak or hourly electricity generation, demand, and prices?
- Does EIA publish coking coal prices?
- Does EIA publish gasoline prices by city, county, or zip code?
- Why am I being charged more for heating oil or propane than the price on EIA's website?
- What is the price or cost of natural gas for U.S. electric power producers?
- Does EIA publish electricity sales and price data by state and by utility?
- What are the different coal prices published by EIA?