How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) does not calculate, assess, or regulate diesel fuel surcharges.
- EIA cannot tell you how to calculate a fuel surcharge. Fuel surcharges are negotiated privately by shippers and by transportation companies.
- Each company may have its own method for calculating surcharges. Many major transportation carriers have information on their websites concerning their surcharge methodology. EIA does not endorse a particular method. You can perform an Internet search on fuel surcharges for more information.
- EIA collects and publishes weekly retail diesel fuel price data. Many shippers, transportation companies, and truckers use that weekly retail price information in their fuel pricing formulas.
EIA's Weekly Retail On-Highway Diesel Prices (Monday's prices as of 8:00 a.m. ET; see release schedule)
Last reviewed: September 17, 2021
Other FAQs about Prices
- Are prices published by EIA adjusted for inflation? ?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- Does EIA have forecasts or projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA have historical gasoline prices for each state?
- Does EIA publish coking coal prices?
- Does EIA publish data on peak or hourly electricity generation, demand, and prices?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- Does EIA publish electricity sales and price data by state and by utility?
- Does EIA publish energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA publish gasoline prices by city, county, or zip code?
- Does EIA publish inflation-adjusted gasoline prices?
- Does EIA publish off-road diesel fuel prices?
- How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
- How do I compare the cost of heating fuels?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and on a gallon of diesel fuel?
- What are Ccf, Mcf, Btu, and therms? How do I convert natural gas prices in dollars per Ccf or Mcf to dollars per Btu or therm?
- What are the different coal prices published by EIA?
- What are the projections for U.S. gasoline and diesel fuel prices?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What is the price or cost of natural gas for U.S. electric power producers?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Why am I being charged more for heating oil or propane than the price on EIA's website?
- Why are diesel fuel prices higher than gasoline prices?