U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the different coal prices published by EIA?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) publishes various coal prices:
- Spot price is the price for a one-time open market transaction for immediate delivery purchased on the spot at current market rates.
- Nymex futures price are prices on contracts on the New York Mercantile Exchange (Nymex) for the delivery of a specified quantity of a commodity at a specified time and place in the future.
- Mine sales price is calculated from the free on board (FOB) value of coal at the coal mine without any insurance or freight transportation charges added.
- Captive sales price is the FOB sale price for coal used by the producing company or sold to affiliated or parent companies.
- Open market sales price is the price of coal sold on the open market to companies other than the reporting company's parent company or a subsidiary of the parent company.
Coal price data
Last reviewed: August 3, 2016
Other FAQs about Prices
- Are prices published by EIA adjusted for inflation?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- Does EIA have gasoline prices by city, county, or zip code?
- Does EIA have historical gasoline prices for each state?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish coking coal prices?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- Does EIA publish electricity consumption and price data by state?
- Does EIA publish inflation-adjusted gasoline prices?
- Does EIA publish off-road diesel fuel prices?
- How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
- How do I compare the cost of heating fuels?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Why am I being charged more for propane than the price on EIA's website?
- Why are diesel fuel prices higher than gasoline prices?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What are the different coal prices published by EIA?
- What are the projections for U.S. gasoline and diesel fuel prices?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?