Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
No, the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) does not collect or publish data on electricity rates, or tariffs, for the sale or purchase of electricity or on demand charges for electricity service. Also, EIA does not publish retail electricity rates or prices for peak or off-peak periods (sometimes referred to as time-of-use rates).
EIA does publish the number of utility customers that are enrolled in time-based electricity rate programs, which are administered through a tariff, including time-of-use, real time, variable peak, and critical peak pricing, and critical peak rebate programs. The data are collected with the EIA-861 survey and published in the Dynamic Pricing file of the EIA-861 database.
The Utility Rate Database, sponsored in part by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), is a free source of rate structure information from utilities in the United States. Utility rates for cities in the United States are available at DOE's Open Energy Information (OpenEI) platform. Individual utilities may also have detailed rate/tariff schedules and demand charges.
There are links to the electricity price data that EIA publishes in Does EIA publish electricity consumption and price data by state and by utility?
Last updated: February 24, 2020
Other FAQs about Prices
- Are prices published by EIA adjusted for inflation?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- Does EIA have historical gasoline prices for each state?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish coking coal prices?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- Does EIA publish electricity consumption and price data by state and by utility?
- Does EIA publish energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA publish gasoline prices by city, county, or zip code?
- Does EIA publish inflation-adjusted gasoline prices?
- Does EIA publish off-road diesel fuel prices?
- How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
- How do I compare the cost of heating fuels?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Why am I being charged more for heating oil or propane than the price on EIA's website?
- Why are diesel fuel prices higher than gasoline prices?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and on a gallon of diesel fuel?
- What are Ccf, Mcf, Btu, and therms? How do I convert natural gas prices in dollars per Ccf or Mcf to dollars per Btu or therm?
- What are the different coal prices published by EIA?
- What are the projections for U.S. gasoline and diesel fuel prices?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What is the price or cost of natural gas for U.S. electric power producers?