How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and on a gallon of diesel fuel?
The taxes and other fees on retail gasoline and diesel fuel, in cents per gallon, as of July 1, 2020
|Average of total state taxes||29.86||31.76|
Federal taxes include excises taxes of 18.3 cents per gallon on gasoline and 24.3 cents per gallon on diesel fuel, and a Leaking Underground Storage Tank fee of 0.1 cents per gallon on both fuels. State taxes include rates of general application including, but not limited to, excise taxes, environmental taxes, special taxes, and inspection fees, but they exclude state taxes based on gross or net receipts. State taxes do not include county and local taxes. This information is for general informational purposes only.
State-by-state fuel taxes—includes federal and state-level taxes on motor gasoline, diesel fuel, aviation gasoline, and jet fuel
Historical federal and state taxes are available in the Federal Highway Administration’s Highway Statistics Series. In the 2018 edition, see tables:
- 8.2.1. Federal excise tax rates on motor fuels and lubricating oil
- 8.2.3. State tax rates on motor fuel
- 8.4.6. State tax rates on motor fuel
Articles on taxes
Last updated: September 4, 2020
Other FAQs about Prices
- Are prices published by EIA adjusted for inflation?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- Does EIA have forecasts or projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA have historical gasoline prices for each state?
- Does EIA publish coking coal prices?
- Does EIA publish data on peak or hourly electricity generation, demand, and prices?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- Does EIA publish electricity consumption and price data by state and by utility?
- Does EIA publish energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA publish gasoline prices by city, county, or zip code?
- Does EIA publish inflation-adjusted gasoline prices?
- Does EIA publish off-road diesel fuel prices?
- How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
- How do I compare the cost of heating fuels?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Why am I being charged more for heating oil or propane than the price on EIA's website?
- Why are diesel fuel prices higher than gasoline prices?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and on a gallon of diesel fuel?
- What are Ccf, Mcf, Btu, and therms? How do I convert natural gas prices in dollars per Ccf or Mcf to dollars per Btu or therm?
- What are the different coal prices published by EIA?
- What are the projections for U.S. gasoline and diesel fuel prices?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What is the price or cost of natural gas for U.S. electric power producers?