Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) publishes data on the quality of crude oil produced in the United States:
EIA also publishes the sulfur content and API gravity of crude oil imported into the United States, along with the volume, source country, and name of the processing facility (refinery) that received the oil, in the data file for the Company Level Imports. Columns M and N in the data file have the sulfur and API gravity data. EIA’s crude (oil) imports tracking tool contains data on crude oil imports by crude oil grade.
The U.S. continued to produce more light crude oil in 2019 and import less heavy crude oil
Crude oil used by U.S. refineries continues to get lighter in most regions
The United States tends to produce lighter crude oil and import heavier crude oil
The United States continues to increase production of lighter crude oil
Crude oil entering Gulf Coast refineries has become lighter as imports have declined
The API gravity of crude oil produced in the U.S. varies widely across states
Changing crude (oil) quality mix is affecting crude price differentials and refining decisions
U.S. Crude Oil Production to 2025: Updated Projection of Crude Types
Last updated: September 9, 2020
Other FAQs about Oil/Petroleum
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- How much oil consumed by the United States comes from foreign countries?
- How much oil is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- Does the world have enough oil to meet our future needs?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What are petroleum products, and what is petroleum used for?
- Does EIA have information on U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- How many alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles are there in the United States?
- How much of the crude oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How many gallons of gasoline and diesel fuel are made from one barrel of oil?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- Does EIA have data on the movement (transport) of crude oil, petroleum products, fuel ethanol, and biodiesel by rail?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- What countries are the top producers and consumers of oil?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and export?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- How much shale (tight) oil is produced in the United States?
- Does EIA have forecasts or projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA have information on unplanned outages or shutdowns of U.S. energy infrastructure?