How much oil is consumed in the United States?
Only a small amount of crude oil is directly consumed in the United States. Nearly all of the crude oil that is produced in or imported into the United States is refined into petroleum products, such as gasoline, diesel fuel, heating oil, and jet fuel, which are then consumed. Liquids produced from natural gas processing are also consumed as petroleum products. Renewable biofuels, such as ethanol and biodiesel, are used as substitutes for or as additives to refined petroleum products. The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) includes biofuels in consumption of petroleum products. EIA uses product supplied to represent U.S. petroleum consumption.
In 2020, the United States consumed an average of about 18.19 million barrels of petroleum per day, or a total of about 6.66 billion barrels of petroleum. This was the lowest level of annual consumption since 1995. The drop in consumption in 2020 from 2019 was the largest recorded annual decline in U.S. petroleum demand. The decrease was largely the result of the global response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Petroleum product supplied data
U.S. petroleum supply and disposition data
Monthly Energy Review, Petroleum, Table 3.1: Petroleum Overview
Energy Explained: Crude Oil and Petroleum Products–Use of Oil
Last updated: September 7, 2021
Other FAQs about Oil/Petroleum
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- Does EIA have data on the movement (transport) of crude oil, petroleum products, fuel ethanol, and biodiesel by rail?
- Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- Does EIA have forecasts or projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA have information on U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have information on unplanned outages or shutdowns of U.S. energy infrastructure?
- Does the world have enough oil to meet our future needs?
- How many alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles are there in the United States?
- How many gallons of gasoline and diesel fuel are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- How much of the crude oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil consumed by the United States comes from foreign countries?
- How much oil is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and export?
- How much shale (tight) oil is produced in the United States?
- What are petroleum products, and what is petroleum used for?
- What countries are the top producers and consumers of oil?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?