How much oil is consumed in the United States?
Only a small amount of crude oil is directly consumed in the United States. Nearly all of the crude oil that is produced in or imported into the United States is refined into petroleum products such as gasoline, diesel fuel, heating oil, and jet fuel, which are then consumed. Liquids produced from natural gas processing are also consumed as petroleum products. Renewable biofuels, such as ethanol and biodiesel, are used as substitutes for, or as additives to, refined petroleum products. The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) includes biofuels in consumption of petroleum products. EIA uses product supplied to represent U.S. petroleum consumption.
In 2019, the United States consumed an average of about 20.46 million barrels of petroleum per day, or a total of about 7.47 billion barrels of petroleum products.
Monthly Energy Review—Petroleum, Table 3.1: Petroleum Overview
Energy Explained: Crude Oil and Petroleum Products–Use of Oil
Petroleum product supplied data
U.S. petroleum supply and disposition data
Last updated: March 3, 2020, with preliminary data from the Petroleum Supply Monthly, February 2020.
Other FAQs about Oil/Petroleum
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- Does EIA have data on the movement (transport) of crude oil, petroleum products, fuel ethanol, and biodiesel by rail?
- Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- Does EIA have information on U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does the world have enough oil to meet our future needs?
- How many alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles are there in the United States?
- How many gallons of gasoline and diesel fuel are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- How much of the crude oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil consumed by the United States comes from foreign countries?
- How much oil is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and export?
- How much shale (tight) oil is produced in the United States?
- What are petroleum products, and what is petroleum used for?
- What countries are the top producers and consumers of oil?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?