How much shale (tight) oil is produced in the United States?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates that in 2022, about 2.84 billion barrels (or about 7.79 million barrels per day) of crude oil were produced directly from tight-oil resources in the United States. This was equal to about 66% of total U.S. crude oil production in 2022.
Tight oil production estimates by play
Crude Oil Production (historical data)
Energy Explained: Where our oil comes from
Annual Energy Outlook, Table 14. Oil and Gas Supply for Reference case and for Side cases
Today in Energy articles related to shale and tight oil
Last updated: March 27, 2023
Other FAQs about Oil/Petroleum
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- Does EIA have data on the movement (transport) of crude oil, petroleum products, fuel ethanol, and biodiesel by rail?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- Does EIA have information on U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- How much oil is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?
- How much shale (tight) oil is produced in the United States?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What are petroleum products, and what is petroleum used for?
- How many gallons of gasoline and diesel fuel are made from one barrel of oil?
- Does EIA have forecasts or projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- What countries are the top producers and consumers of oil?
- How much oil consumed by the United States comes from foreign countries?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and export?
- Does EIA have information on unplanned disruptions or outages of U.S. energy infrastructure?
- How much of the crude oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- Does the world have enough oil to meet our future needs?