What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?
You can access the most recent available data on the types and amounts of energy produced in each state as follows:
- Coal, crude oil, natural gas, nuclear energy, biofuels (total), and fuel ethanol production back to 1960 in the State Energy Data System (SEDS). To locate data for each state (from the main SEDS page), click on the Change State/Territory field, which is above the Overview tab. Select a state and scroll over the Data tab. In the drop-down menu, select a data period under Energy Estimates (SEDS). Scroll down the resulting page and select the Production bar to access files with data on the types and amounts of energy produced.
- Coal—weekly, quarterly, and annual
- Crude oil—monthly and annual
- Natural gas—monthly and annual
- Natural gas plant liquids—monthly and annual
- Electricity—generation by fuel/energy source
The location of coal mines, electric power plants, and oil and natural gas fields and wells are available in an interactive map. See the short instructional video on how to use the interactive map.
State Energy portal
Where our coal comes from
Where our natural gas comes from
Where our oil comes from
Use of geothermal energy
Where hydropower is generated
Where solar energy is found and used
Where wind power is harnessed
Last updated: August 17, 2020
Other FAQs about Oil/Petroleum
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- Does EIA have data on the movement (transport) of crude oil, petroleum products, fuel ethanol, and biodiesel by rail?
- Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- Does EIA have information on U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does the world have enough oil to meet our future needs?
- How many alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles are there in the United States?
- How many gallons of gasoline and diesel fuel are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- How much of the crude oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil consumed by the United States comes from foreign countries?
- How much oil is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and export?
- How much shale (tight) oil is produced in the United States?
- What are petroleum products, and what is petroleum used for?
- What countries are the top producers and consumers of oil?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?