U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) has data on the types and amounts of energy produced in each state:
- Coal, crude oil, natural gas, and fuel ethanol production in physical units and in British Thermal Unit (Btu) equivalents back to 1960 in the State Energy Data System (SEDS). To locate data for each state (from the main SEDS page), click on the Change State/Territory field, which is above the Overview tab. Select a state and scroll over the Data tab. In the drop down menu, select a data period under Energy Estimates (SEDS). Scroll down the resulting page and select the Production bar to access pdf and csv files for data on the types and amounts of energy produced.
- Coal—most recent weekly, quarterly, and annual
- Crude oil—most recent monthly and annual
- Natural gas—most recent monthly and annual
- Natural gas plant liquids—most recent monthly and annual
- Electricity—generation by fuel/energy source
Last reviewed: August 2, 2016
Other FAQs about Oil/Petroleum
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- Does EIA have data on the movement of crude oil, ethanol, and biodiesel by rail and truck?
- Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does the world have enough oil to meet our future needs?
- How many gallons of gasoline and diesel fuel are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- How much of the oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil consumed by the United States comes from foreign countries?
- How much oil is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and export?
- How much shale (tight) oil is produced in the United States?
- What are petroleum products, and what is petroleum used for?
- What countries are the top net importers of oil?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?