U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
When was the last refinery built in the United States?
There were a total of 141 operable petroleum refineries in the United States as of January 1, 2016.
Two new refineries began operating in 2015. Petromax Refining Co began operating a 25,000 b/cd refinery in Houston in the second quarter. Buckeye Partners LP began operating a 46,250 b/cd condensate processing facility in Corpus Christi in the fourth quarter.
However, the newest refinery with significant downstream unit capacity began operating in 1977 in Garyville, Louisiana. That facility came online in 1977 with an initial atmospheric distillation unit capacity of 200,000 b/cd and as of January 1, 2016 had capacity of 539,000 b/cd.
Capacity has also been added to existing refineries through upgrades or new construction. Some recent examples of large increases include:
- In 2012, Motiva upgraded its refinery in Port Arthur, Texas, making it the largest refinery in the U.S. with a capacity of 603,000 b/cd as of January 1, 2016.
- In 2009, Marathon upgraded its Garyville, Louisiana refinery. As of January 1, 2016, the capacity is more than double its original 1977 capacity.
The newest refineries currently operating in the United States:
|Year Built||First Operated||Location||Original Owner||Original Capacity b/cd||Current Owner||2016 Capacity b/cd|
|2015||2015||Corpus Christi, TX||Buckeye Partners||46,250||Buckeye Partners||46,250|
|2015||2015||Houston, TX||Petromax Refining||25,000||Petromax Refining||25,000|
|2014||2015||Dickinson, ND||Dakota Prairie Refining||19,000||Dakota Praire Refining||19,500|
|2014||2015||Galena Park, TX||Kinder Morgan||42,000||Kinder Morgan||84,000|
|2008||2008||Douglas, WY||Interline Resources||3,000||Antelope Refining||3,800|
|1993||1993||Valdez, AK||Petro Star||26,300||Petro Star||55,000|
|1991||1992||Ely, NV||Petro Source||
|1986||1987||North Pole, AK||Petro Star||6,700||Petro Star||19,700|
|1985||1986||Prudhoe Bay, AK||ARCO||12,000||ConocoPhillips||15,000|
|1978||1979||North Slope, AK||ARCO||13,000||BP Exploration, AK||10,500|
|1977||1978||Lake Charles, LA||Calcasieu||6,500||Calcasieu||89,000|
|1976||1977||Krotz Springs, LA||Gold King||5,000||Alon||80,000|
|1975||1975||Corpus Christi, TX||Saber||15,000||Valero||293,000|
Last updated: June 22, 2016
Other FAQs about Oil/Petroleum
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- Does EIA have data on the movement of crude oil, ethanol, and biodiesel by rail and truck?
- Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does the world have enough oil to meet our future needs?
- How many gallons of gasoline and diesel fuel are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- How much of the oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil consumed by the United States comes from foreign countries?
- How much oil is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and export?
- How much shale (tight) oil is produced in the United States?
- What are petroleum products, and what is petroleum used for?
- What countries are the top net importers of oil?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?