How much oil consumed by the United States comes from foreign countries?
In 2018, U.S. net imports (imports minus exports) of petroleum from foreign countries averaged about 2.34 million barrels per day, equal to about 11% of U.S. petroleum consumption. This was the lowest percentage since 1957.
Petroleum includes crude oil and petroleum products. Petroleum products include gasoline, diesel fuel, heating oil, jet fuel, chemical feedstocks, asphalt, biofuels (ethanol and biodiesel), and other products.
How much petroleum does the United States import and export?
Petroleum—Trade Overview (Table 3.3a, graphs and data)
Oil Imports and Exports
Detailed historical data on U.S. petroleum imports and exports
Measuring U.S. Dependence on Foreign Oil: The What, Where, and When Factors
U.S. oil import dependence: declining no matter how you measure it
Articles on energy imports
Last updated: September 4, 2019
Other FAQs about Oil/Petroleum
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- How much oil consumed by the United States comes from foreign countries?
- How much oil is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- Does the world have enough oil to meet our future needs?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What are petroleum products, and what is petroleum used for?
- Does EIA have information on U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- How much of the crude oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How many gallons of gasoline and diesel fuel are made from one barrel of oil?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- Does EIA have data on the movement (transport) of crude oil, petroleum products, fuel ethanol, and biodiesel by rail?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- What countries are the top producers and consumers of oil?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and export?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- How much shale (tight) oil is produced in the United States?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?