How much oil consumed by the United States comes from foreign countries?
In 2020, U.S. total annual petroleum net imports (imports minus exports) from foreign countries averaged -65 million barrels per day (b/d).1 In other words, total annual U.S. petroleum exports in 2020 were 0.65 billion barrels per day greater than petroleum imports. This was the first year since at least 1950 that total annual petroleum imports were less than exports (exports were greater than imports) and net petroleum imports’ percentage share of annual petroleum consumption was negative (-3.6%).
Petroleum includes crude oil and petroleum products. Petroleum products include gasoline, diesel fuel, heating oil, jet fuel, chemical feedstocks, asphalt, biofuels (ethanol and biodiesel), and other products.
1 Preliminary data.
How much petroleum does the United States import and export?
Petroleum—Trade Overview (Table 3.3a, graphs and data)
Oil Imports and Exports
Detailed historical data on U.S. petroleum imports and exports
Measuring U.S. Dependence on Foreign Oil: The What, Where, and When Factors
U.S. oil import dependence: declining no matter how you measure it
Articles on energy imports
Last updated: March 29, 2020, with preliminary data from the Petroleum Supply Monthly, February 2021.
Other FAQs about Oil/Petroleum
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- Does EIA have data on the movement (transport) of crude oil, petroleum products, fuel ethanol, and biodiesel by rail?
- Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- Does EIA have forecasts or projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA have information on U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have information on unplanned outages or shutdowns of U.S. energy infrastructure?
- Does the world have enough oil to meet our future needs?
- How many alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles are there in the United States?
- How many gallons of gasoline and diesel fuel are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- How much of the crude oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil consumed by the United States comes from foreign countries?
- How much oil is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and export?
- How much shale (tight) oil is produced in the United States?
- What are petroleum products, and what is petroleum used for?
- What countries are the top producers and consumers of oil?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?