What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) publishes forecasts for average residential heating fuel prices for each winter in the October through March editions of the Short-Term Energy Outlook (STEO), Table WF01. Average Consumer Prices and Expenditures for Heating Fuels During the Winter. The forecast is for natural gas, heating oil, propane, and electricity on a national and regional level.
There are also forecasts for U.S. average annual and monthly prices of natural gas, heating oil, and electricity in Table 2: U.S. Energy Prices, and regional forecasts for natural gas in Table 5b and for electricity in Table 7c.
Last reviewed: October 8, 2019
Other FAQs about Oil/Petroleum
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- Does EIA have data on the movement (transport) of crude oil, petroleum products, fuel ethanol, and biodiesel by rail?
- Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- Does EIA have information on U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does the world have enough oil to meet our future needs?
- How many gallons of gasoline and diesel fuel are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- How much of the crude oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil consumed by the United States comes from foreign countries?
- How much oil is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and export?
- How much shale (tight) oil is produced in the United States?
- What are petroleum products, and what is petroleum used for?
- What countries are the top producers and consumers of oil?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?