How much of the crude oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) cannot determine how much of the crude oil produced in the United States is then consumed in the United States. Most of the crude oil produced in the United States is refined in U.S. refineries along with imported crude oil to make petroleum products. EIA is not able to determine exactly how much of U.S. crude oil exports are produced in the United States because some of the exported crude oil may originally have been imported from other countries, placed in storage, and then exported. The United States also produces and exports petroleum products, but EIA is unable to track how much of these petroleum exports are made from domestically produced or imported crude oil. Also, some of U.S. crude oil exports are refined into petroleum products in other countries, which may be exported back to, and consumed in, the United States.
In 2018, U.S. total petroleum production averaged about 17.73 million barrels per day (mmb/d), which included
Total petroleum consumption averaged about 20.50 million b/d in 2018. The difference between petroleum consumption and production is mainly composed of net imports (imports minus exports) of petroleum and changes in petroleum inventories.
Monthly Energy Review: Petroleum Overview (Table 3.1)
How much oil is consumed in the United States?
U.S. petroleum supply and disposition
Energy Explained: Oil–Crude Oil and Petroleum Products
Last updated: October 1, 2019
Other FAQs about Oil/Petroleum
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- Does EIA have data on the movement (transport) of crude oil, petroleum products, fuel ethanol, and biodiesel by rail?
- Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- Does EIA have information on U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does the world have enough oil to meet our future needs?
- How many gallons of gasoline and diesel fuel are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- How much of the crude oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil consumed by the United States comes from foreign countries?
- How much oil is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and export?
- How much shale (tight) oil is produced in the United States?
- What are petroleum products, and what is petroleum used for?
- What countries are the top producers and consumers of oil?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?