Does EIA publish electricity consumption and price data by state and by utility?
Yes, the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) publishes retail electricity sales (which represent the majority of end-use electricity consumption) and retail electricity prices by state, by type of provider (utilities and power marketers), by individual providers, and by type of end-use (consuming) sector. Monthly and annual retail sales and retail price data (preliminary and final) are available in several reports and data files.
Electric Power Monthly—preliminary data by state and consuming sector for most recent month and for year-to-date
- Sales—Tables 5.4.A and 5.4.B; total annual sales are published in Table 5.4.B of the February edition
- Prices—Tables 5.6.A and 5.6.B; average annual prices are published in Table 5.6.B of the February edition
Electric Power Annual—final annual data by state and by consuming sector for the two most recent years available
- Sales—Table 2.8
- Prices—Table 2.10
Electric Sales, Revenue, and Average Price—annual sales and average annual prices by state and by individual providers.
Form EIA-861M detailed data—preliminary and final monthly and annual data back to 1990 in the sales and revenue files on the right side of the page. The sales and revenue files include data for U.S. territories.
- Aggregated file—sales and prices by state and type of consuming sector
- Year files—revenue and sales (divide revenue by sales to calculate price) for major individual utilities, by state, by type of provider, and by consuming sector
Detailed state data files—final annual data by state, type of provider, and consuming sector back to 1990
State Electricity Profiles—state-level annual retail sales and annual direct use electricity, and retail prices by consuming sector, from 1990 to most recent year available. Total annual retail sales plus annual direct use electricity equal total annual electricity consumption. At each state's page, scroll down the page to find the link at left for full data tables 1–15. The file has worksheets for each table.
- Tables 1 and 10—total retail sales by type of provider and total direct use electricity
- Table 3—sales by top five providers by type of consuming sector
- Table 8—sales and average retail prices by type of consuming sector
State Energy Data System—annual electricity consumption (retail sales) and average annual prices by state and end-use (consuming) sectors back to 1960 or 1970. Data are available in units of trillion British thermal units (Btu) (there are 3,412 Btu in a kilowatthour) and in physical units (million kilowatthours) in the files for full reports and data files.
Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
Factors Affecting Electricity Prices
Last updated: January 9, 2020
Other FAQs about Electricity
- Can electric utility customers choose their electricity supplier?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on costs for electricity transmission and distribution?
- Does EIA have data on each power plant in the United States?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish data on peak or hourly electricity generation, demand, and prices?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- Does EIA publish electricity consumption and price data by state and by utility?
- Does EIA publish energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA publish the location of electric power plants and transmission lines?
- How is electricity used in U.S. homes?
- How many nuclear power plants are in the United States, and where are they located?
- How many power plants are there in the United States?
- How many smart meters are installed in the United States, and who has them?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- How much electricity does a nuclear power plant generate?
- How much electricity does an American home use?
- How much electricity is lost in electricity transmission and distribution in the United States?
- How much electricity is used for cooling in the United States?
- How much electricity is used for lighting in the United States?
- How much energy does the world consume by each energy end-use sector?
- How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
- How much of U.S. energy consumption and electricity generation comes from renewable energy sources?
- How much of world energy consumption and production is from renewable energy?
- How old are U.S. nuclear power plants, and when was the newest one built?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- What is the difference between electricity generation capacity and electricity generation?
- What is the efficiency of different types of power plants?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?