U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
Does EIA publish electricity consumption and price data by state?
Yes, the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) publishes retail electricity sales (a proxy for consumption) and retail electricity prices by end-use sector by state.
Preliminary monthly and year-to-date electricity sales and electricity prices by state in the Electric Power Monthly:
- Sales of electricity in tables 5.4.A and 5.4.B; total annual sales are published in Table 5.4.B of the February edition
- Average retail prices of electricity in tables 5.6.A and 5.6.B; average annual prices are published in Table 5.6.B of the February edition
Final annual electricity sales and average annual electricity prices:
- Tables 6 to 10 of Electric Sales, Revenue, and Average Price
- Tables 2.8 and 2.10 of Electric Power Annual
- State Electricity Profiles (Table 8 of each profile back to 1990)
- Detailed historical state electricity data files
Last updated: February 28, 2017
Other FAQs about Electricity
- Can electric utility customers choose their electricity supplier?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on each power plant in the United States?
- Does EIA have data on the costs for electricity transmission and distribution?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of electric power plants and transmission lines in the United States?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish data on peak or hourly electricity generation, demand, and prices?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- Does EIA publish electricity consumption and price data by state?
- How is electricity used in U.S. homes?
- How many nuclear power plants are in the United States, and where are they located?
- How many power plants are there in the United States?
- How many smart meters are installed in the United States, and who has them?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- How much electricity does a nuclear power plant generate?
- How much electricity does an American home use?
- How much electricity is lost in transmission and distribution in the United States?
- How much electricity is used for lighting in the United States?
- How much energy is consumed in the world by each energy end-use sector?
- How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
- How much of world energy consumption and production is from renewable energy?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- What is the difference between electricity generation capacity and electricity generation?
- What is the efficiency of different types of power plants?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?