How many alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles are there in the United States?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) publishes annual data on the number of alternative fuel vehicles (AFV) in inventory for four types of vehicle fleets: federal government, state governments, transit agencies, and fuel providers.
EIA publishes data on the supply of AFV and gasoline-electric hybrid and diesel-electric hybrid vehicles from two types of suppliers: original equipment manufacturers and aftermarket vehicle converters.
EIA has estimates and projections for stocks of AFV including electric and hybrid-electric vehicles in the United States in the Annual Energy Outlook. See tables:
- Table 39. Light-Duty Vehicle Stock by Technology Type
- Table 45. Transportation Fleet Car and Truck Stock by Type and Technology
- Table 49. Freight Transportation Energy Use
Definitions for AFV and hybrid vehicles
Last updated: May 4, 2021
Other FAQs about Electricity
- Can electric utility customers choose their electricity supplier?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on costs for electricity transmission and distribution?
- Does EIA have data on each power plant in the United States?
- Does EIA have forecasts or projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA have information on unplanned outages or shutdowns of U.S. energy infrastructure?
- Does EIA publish data on peak or hourly electricity generation, demand, and prices?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- Does EIA publish electricity consumption and price data by state and by utility?
- Does EIA publish energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA publish the location of electric power plants, transmission lines, and substations?
- How is electricity used in U.S. homes?
- How many alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles are there in the United States?
- How many nuclear power plants are in the United States, and where are they located?
- How many power plants are there in the United States?
- How many smart meters are installed in the United States, and who has them?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- How much electricity does a nuclear power plant generate?
- How much electricity does an American home use?
- How much electricity is lost in electricity transmission and distribution in the United States?
- How much electricity is used for cooling in the United States?
- How much electricity is used for lighting in the United States?
- How much energy does the world consume by each energy end-use sector?
- How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
- How much of U.S. energy consumption and electricity generation comes from renewable energy sources?
- How much of world energy consumption and production is from renewable energy?
- How old are U.S. nuclear power plants, and when was the newest one built?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- What is the difference between electricity generation capacity and electricity generation?
- What is the efficiency of different types of power plants?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?