How much shale gas is produced in the United States?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates that in 2018, U.S. dry shale gas production was about 20.95 trillion cubic feet (Tcf), and equal to about 69% of total U.S. dry natural gas production in 2018.
Dry shale gas production estimates by play
U.S. natural gas production by source or type of gas and gross production (withdrawals) of shale gas by state
Annual Energy Outlook, Table 14. Oil and Gas Supply for Reference case and for Side cases
Energy Explained: Where Our Natural Gas Comes From
Today in Energy articles related to shale and tight oil
Last updated: September 5, 2019
Other FAQs about Natural Gas
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have information on U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish shale gas and coalbed methane production and reserves data?
- How does EIA calculate the year-ago and five-year averages in the Weekly Natural Gas Storage Report?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- Which states consume and produce the most natural gas?
- Why am I being charged more for propane than the price on EIA's website?
- How much natural gas does the United States have, and how long will it last?
- How much natural gas is consumed in the United States?
- How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
- How much shale gas is produced in the United States?
- What are Ccf, Mcf, Btu, and therms? How do I convert natural gas prices in dollars per Ccf or Mcf to dollars per Btu or therm?
- What are the major factors affecting natural gas prices?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What is the price or cost of natural gas for U.S. electric power producers?
- What is the volume of world natural gas reserves?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?