Does EIA have information on unplanned outages or shutdowns of U.S. energy infrastructure?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) offers the following resources and reports that include information related to unplanned outages or shutdowns of U.S. energy infrastructure.
EIA also publishes data on the reliability of electricity service in the United States in the Annual Electric Power Industry Report, Form EIA-861 data files. The Reliability file includes the System Average Interruption Frequency Index (SAIFI) and System Average Interruption Duration Index (SAIDI) of power outages experienced by U.S. electricity distribution utilities during a calendar year.
For near real-time information on the effects of major weather-related events on U.S. energy infrastructure, visit the U.S. Department of Energy’s Emergency Response website and its Storm Hub and Hurricane Hub pages.
Several EIA products show what’s happening in current energy markets
U.S. power customers experienced an average of nearly five hours of interruptions in 2019
Today in Energy articles on energy disruptions and outages.
Last updated: March 3, 2021
Other FAQs about Natural Gas
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- How much shale gas is produced in the United States?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- Does EIA have information on U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
- Does EIA publish energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- What are the major factors affecting natural gas prices?
- What are Ccf, Mcf, Btu, and therms? How do I convert natural gas prices in dollars per Ccf or Mcf to dollars per Btu or therm?
- Which states consume and produce the most natural gas?
- What is the volume of world natural gas reserves?
- How does EIA calculate the year-ago and five-year averages in the Weekly Natural Gas Storage Report?
- How much natural gas does the United States have, and how long will it last?
- Does EIA publish shale gas and coalbed methane production and reserves data?
- Does EIA have forecasts or projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How many alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles are there in the United States?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- Why am I being charged more for heating oil or propane than the price on EIA's website?
- What is the price or cost of natural gas for U.S. electric power producers?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- How much natural gas is consumed in the United States?
- Does EIA have information on unplanned outages or shutdowns of U.S. energy infrastructure?