Does EIA publish energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) does not publish data according to zip code. EIA publishes gasoline price data for some cities, and it publishes data for electric and natural gas distribution utilities. EIA’s data includes:
- Gasoline prices, including taxes, for 10 cities.
- Electricity retail sales (a proxy for end-use consumption) and average retail price of electricity delivered to end users for distribution utilities. Most cities or municipal areas are served by a single distribution utility. However, many distribution utilities serve a larger area than the jurisdictional boundaries of individual cities. The names of the counties, by state, where each electric utility has distribution equipment and which can be used as an estimate of a utility's service territory, are in the Service Territory file of the EIA 861 survey database. In some cases, more than one utility may have distribution equipment in the same county.
- Natural gas delivery/sales volumes and prices for natural gas distribution utilities. EIA does not publish information on the service territory of natural gas utilities.
Does EIA publish gasoline prices by city, county, or zip code?
Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
Last reviewed: February 1, 2023
Other FAQs about Natural Gas
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- How much shale gas is produced in the United States?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- Does EIA have information on U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
- Does EIA publish energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- What are the major factors affecting natural gas prices?
- What are Ccf, Mcf, Btu, and therms? How do I convert natural gas prices in dollars per Ccf or Mcf to dollars per Btu or therm?
- Which states consume and produce the most natural gas?
- What is the volume of world natural gas reserves?
- How does EIA calculate the year-ago and five-year averages in the Weekly Natural Gas Storage Report?
- How much natural gas does the United States have, and how long will it last?
- Does EIA publish shale gas and coalbed methane production and reserves data?
- Does EIA have forecasts or projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How many alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles are there in the United States?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- Why am I being charged more for heating oil or propane than the price on EIA's website?
- What is the price or cost of natural gas for U.S. electric power producers?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- How much natural gas is consumed in the United States?
- Does EIA have information on unplanned outages or shutdowns of U.S. energy infrastructure?