Does EIA publish shale gas and coalbed methane production and reserves data?
Yes. The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) publishes historical state-level production data and estimates of proved reserves for shale gas in the U.S. Crude Oil and Natural Gas Proved Reserves report.
EIA also publishes data on U.S. gross production (withdrawals) of shale gas by state and coalbed methane by state.
There are also estimates for dry shale gas production available by play.
There are projections in the Annual Energy Outlook for U.S. shale gas and coalbed methane production in Table 14. Oil and Gas Supply in the Reference case and in side cases.
There are estimates for unproved technically recoverable reserves for shale/tight natural gas and for coalbed methane by play in Tables 3 and 4 respectively in the Assumptions of Annual Energy Outlook for the Oil and Gas Supply Module.
How much shale gas is produced in the United States?
World Shale Resource Assessments
Review of Emerging Resources: U.S. Shale Gas and Shale Oil Plays
Last reviewed: January 10, 2024.
Other FAQs about Natural Gas
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- How much shale gas is produced in the United States?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- Does EIA have information on U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
- Does EIA publish energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- What are the major factors affecting natural gas prices?
- What are Ccf, Mcf, Btu, and therms? How do I convert natural gas prices in dollars per Ccf or Mcf to dollars per Btu or therm?
- Which states consume and produce the most natural gas?
- What is the volume of world natural gas reserves?
- How does EIA calculate the year-ago and five-year averages in the Weekly Natural Gas Storage Report?
- How much natural gas does the United States have, and how long will it last?
- Does EIA publish shale gas and coalbed methane production and reserves data?
- Does EIA have forecasts or projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- Why am I being charged more for heating oil or propane than the price on EIA's website?
- What is the price or cost of natural gas for U.S. electric power producers?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- How much natural gas is consumed in the United States?
- Does EIA have information on unplanned disruptions or outages of U.S. energy infrastructure?