How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
In 2019, emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2) by the U.S. electric power sector were 1,618 million metric tons (MMmt), or about 31% of total U.S. energy-related CO2 emissions of 5,146 (MMmt).
CO2 emissions by U.S. electric power sector by source, 2019
|Source||Million metric tons||Share of sector total|
|Natural gas|| 618||38%|
|Petroleum|| 16|| 1%|
1 Includes CO2 emissions from the combustion of miscellaneous waste materials made from fossil fuels and by some types of geothermal power generation.
Monthly Energy Review, Tables 11.1 and 11.6 contain the most recent estimates of monthly and annual U.S. energy-related CO2 emissions, total and by the electric power sector.
U.S. Energy-Related Carbon Dioxide Emissions
State Carbon Dioxide Emissions Data
Energy Explained: Where Greenhouse Gases Come From
Last updated: December 1, 2020
Other FAQs about Natural Gas
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have forecasts or projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA have information on U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA publish energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA publish shale gas and coalbed methane production and reserves data?
- How does EIA calculate the year-ago and five-year averages in the Weekly Natural Gas Storage Report?
- How many alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles are there in the United States?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- Which states consume and produce the most natural gas?
- Why am I being charged more for heating oil or propane than the price on EIA's website?
- How much natural gas does the United States have, and how long will it last?
- How much natural gas is consumed in the United States?
- How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
- How much shale gas is produced in the United States?
- What are Ccf, Mcf, Btu, and therms? How do I convert natural gas prices in dollars per Ccf or Mcf to dollars per Btu or therm?
- What are the major factors affecting natural gas prices?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What is the price or cost of natural gas for U.S. electric power producers?
- What is the volume of world natural gas reserves?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?