How many alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles are there in the United States?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) publishes annual data on the number of alternative fuel vehicles (AFV) in inventory for four types of vehicle fleets: federal government, state governments, transit agencies, and fuel providers.
EIA publishes data on the supply of AFV, gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles, diesel-electric hybrid vehicles from two types of suppliers: original equipment manufacturers and aftermarket vehicle converters.
EIA has estimates and projections for stocks of AFV including electric and hybrid-electric vehicles in the United States in the Annual Energy Outlook. See tables:
- Table 39. Light-Duty Vehicle Stock by Technology Type
- Table 45. Transportation Fleet Car and Truck Stock by Type and Technology
- Table 49. Freight Transportation Energy Use
Definitions for AFV and hybrid vehicles
Last updated: May 10, 2022
Other FAQs about Renewables
- Does EIA have data on the movement (transport) of crude oil, petroleum products, fuel ethanol, and biodiesel by rail?
- How much ethanol is in gasoline, and how does it affect fuel economy?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- How much of U.S. energy consumption and electricity generation comes from renewable energy sources?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?
- How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
- How much fuel ethanol is produced, imported, exported, and consumed in the United States?
- Does EIA have forecasts or projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How many alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles are there in the United States?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- How much of world energy consumption and production is from renewable energy?
- How much biomass-based diesel fuel is produced, imported, exported, and consumed in the United States?
- Does EIA have information on unplanned outages or shutdowns of U.S. energy infrastructure?