How much of world energy consumption and production is from renewable energy?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) publishes modeled projections and analysis for world consumption and production of renewable energy (and other types of fuel/energy sources) in the International Energy Outlook (IEO). The IEO2019 includes projections for world renewable energy consumption, production of liquid fuels from renewable sources, and electricity generation from renewable energy sources for the world, world regions, and selected countries.
Renewable energy's share of total world energy consumption, liquid fuels production, and electricity generation in the IEO2019 Reference case
|Energy consumption1||15%|| 22%|| 25%|| 28%|
|Liquid fuels production2|| 2%|| 2%|| 2%|| 2%|
|Electricity generation3|| 28%|| 40%|| 46%|| 49%|
International energy statistics (historical data for the world, regions, and countries)
Last updated: November 18, 2020
Other FAQs about Renewables
- Does EIA have data on the movement (transport) of crude oil, petroleum products, fuel ethanol, and biodiesel by rail?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- Does EIA have forecasts or projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA have information on unplanned outages or shutdowns of U.S. energy infrastructure?
- How many alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles are there in the United States?
- How much biomass-based diesel fuel is produced, imported, exported, and consumed in the United States?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- How much ethanol is in gasoline, and how does it affect fuel economy?
- How much ethanol is produced, imported, exported, and consumed in the United States?
- How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
- How much of U.S. energy consumption and electricity generation comes from renewable energy sources?
- How much of world energy consumption and production is from renewable energy?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?