How much of world energy consumption and production is from renewable energy?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) publishes modeled projections and analysis for world consumption and production of renewable energy (and other types of fuel/energy sources) in the International Energy Outlook (IEO). The IEO2021 includes projections for world renewable energy consumption, production of liquid fuels from renewable sources, and electricity generation from renewable energy sources for the world, world regions, and selected countries.
The IEO2021 Reference case projections for renewable energy's share of total world energy consumption, liquid fuels production, and electricity generation are:
|Energy consumption1||15%|| 19%|| 23%|| 27%|
|Liquid fuels production2|| 3%|| 3%|| 3%|| 3%|
|Electricity generation3|| 28%|| 42%|| 50%|| 56%|
International energy statistics (historical data for the world, regions, and countries)
Last updated: October 6, 2021
Other FAQs about Renewables
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- How much ethanol is in gasoline, and how does it affect fuel economy?
- How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
- How much fuel ethanol is produced, imported, exported, and consumed in the United States?
- How much of U.S. energy consumption and electricity generation comes from renewable energy sources?
- How many alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles are there in the United States?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- How much of world energy consumption and production is from renewable energy?
- Does EIA have data on the movement (transport) of crude oil, petroleum products, fuel ethanol, and biodiesel by rail?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?
- How much biomass-based diesel fuel is produced, imported, exported, and consumed in the United States?
- Does EIA have forecasts or projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA have information on unplanned outages or shutdowns of U.S. energy infrastructure?