What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?
You can access the most recent available data on the types and amounts of energy produced in each state as follows:
- Coal, crude oil, natural gas, nuclear energy, biofuels (fuel ethanol and biodiesel), and wood and wood waste (for energy) annual production from 1960 to most recent year available in the State Energy Data System (SEDS). There are two options for finding the state-level production data for each state from the main SEDS page:
- Scroll down the main SEDS page to find the link at lower left for 1960-20?? estimates (where ?? is the most recent year available), and on that page scroll down to find the Production section.
- On the main SEDS page, click on the Change State/Territory field, which is above the Overview, Data, and Analysis tabs. Select a state and on the resulting page scroll over the Data tab. In the drop-down menu, select a data period under Energy Estimates (SEDS). Scroll down the resulting page and select the Production bar to access files with data on the types and amounts of energy produced.
- Coal—weekly, quarterly, and annual
- Crude oil—monthly and annual
- Natural gas—monthly and annual
- Natural gas plant liquids—monthly and annual
- Electricity—generation by fuel/energy source
The location of coal mines, electric power plants, and oil and natural gas fields and wells are available in an interactive map. See the short instructional video on how to use the interactive map.
State Energy portal
Where our coal comes from
Where our natural gas comes from
Where our oil comes from
Use of geothermal energy
Where hydropower is generated
Where solar energy is found and used
Where wind power is harnessed
Last reviewed: September 17, 2021
Other FAQs about Renewables
- Does EIA have data on the movement (transport) of crude oil, petroleum products, fuel ethanol, and biodiesel by rail?
- How much ethanol is in gasoline, and how does it affect fuel economy?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- How much of U.S. energy consumption and electricity generation comes from renewable energy sources?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?
- How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
- How much fuel ethanol is produced, imported, exported, and consumed in the United States?
- Does EIA have forecasts or projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How many alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles are there in the United States?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- How much of world energy consumption and production is from renewable energy?
- How much biomass-based diesel fuel is produced, imported, exported, and consumed in the United States?
- Does EIA have information on unplanned outages or shutdowns of U.S. energy infrastructure?