How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
In 2020, emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2) by the U.S. electric power sector were 1,448 million metric tons (MMmt), or about 32% of total U.S. energy-related CO2 emissions of 4,571 (MMmt).
CO2 emissions by U.S. electric power sector by source, 2020
|Source||Million metric tons||Share of sector total|
|Natural gas|| 635||44%|
|Petroleum|| 16|| 1%|
1Preliminary data for 2020. Includes CO2 emissions from the combustion of miscellaneous waste materials made from fossil fuels and by some types of geothermal power generation.
Monthly Energy Review, Tables 11.1 and 11.6 contain the most recent estimates of monthly and annual U.S. energy-related CO2 emissions, total and by the electric power sector.
U.S. CO2 emissions from energy consumption by source and sector, 2020
U.S. Energy-Related Carbon Dioxide Emissions
State Carbon Dioxide Emissions Data
Energy Explained: Where Greenhouse Gases Come From
Last updated: May 14, 2021
Other FAQs about Renewables
- Does EIA have data on the movement (transport) of crude oil, petroleum products, fuel ethanol, and biodiesel by rail?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- Does EIA have forecasts or projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA have information on unplanned outages or shutdowns of U.S. energy infrastructure?
- How many alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles are there in the United States?
- How much biomass-based diesel fuel is produced, imported, exported, and consumed in the United States?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- How much ethanol is in gasoline, and how does it affect fuel economy?
- How much ethanol is produced, imported, exported, and consumed in the United States?
- How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
- How much of U.S. energy consumption and electricity generation comes from renewable energy sources?
- How much of world energy consumption and production is from renewable energy?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?