U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How much energy does a person use in a year?
In 2011, total primary energy consumption per person (or per capita consumption) in the United States was about 310 million British thermal units (Btu). The world per capita consumption of primary energy in 2011 was about 75 million Btu.1
1 The international energy statistics for total primary energy consumption published by the U.S. Energy Information Administration includes the consumption of petroleum, dry natural gas, coal, nuclear electricity, hydroelectricity, nonhydroelectric renewable electricity, and net electricity imports (electricity imports minus electricity exports). Total primary energy consumption per capita is calculated by dividing total primary energy consumption in quadrillion Btu by the population in millions.
International primary energy consumption and population statistics for the world and regions
International primary energy consumption and population statistics for the United States
Historical U.S. per capita energy consumption estimates
Historical data on U.S. energy consumption by source (Table 1.3)
Energy units and calculators
Last updated: April 18, 2017
Other FAQs about General Energy
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of electric power plants and transmission lines in the United States?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How do I compare the cost of heating fuels?
- How many smart meters are installed in the United States, and who has them?
- How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
- How much energy does a person use in a year?
- How much energy is consumed in residential and commercial buildings in the United States?
- How much energy is consumed in the world by each energy end-use sector?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- How much of world energy consumption and production is from renewable energy?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- What is the United States’ share of world energy consumption?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?