U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How much of world energy consumption and production is from renewable energy?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) publishes estimates and projections for energy consumption and production from renewable energy and other types of fuels/energy sources in the International Energy Outlook (IEO). Estimates and projections for renewable energy are included in each section of the report and in the tables of the report. There are graphs (figures) with historical estimates and projections for the world by major fuels/energy sources in the Executive summary of the IEO 2016:
- Figure ES-2: Total world energy consumption by energy source, 1990–2040
- Figure ES-6: World net electricity generation by energy source, 2012–2040
International Energy Outlook (most recent edition published)
Tables of the IEO reference case and other cases
International energy data (historical data for electricity generation with renewable energy, and biofuels production and consumption, for the world, regions, and countries
Last updated: May 19, 2016
Other FAQs about General Energy
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of electric power plants and transmission lines in the United States?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How do I compare the cost of heating fuels?
- How many smart meters are installed in the United States, and who has them?
- How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
- How much energy does a person use in a year?
- How much energy is consumed in residential and commercial buildings in the United States?
- How much energy is consumed in the world by each energy end-use sector?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- How much of world energy consumption and production is from renewable energy?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- What is the United States’ share of world energy consumption?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?