U.S. Energy Information Administration logo

Projects published on Beta are not final and may contain programming errors. They are for public testing and comment only. We welcome your feedback. For final products, please visit www.eia.gov.

Ukraine's Key Energy Statistics world rank
Total Primary Energy Consumption
2016
3.805
Quadrillion Btu
27
Total Primary Energy Production
2016
2.448
Quadrillion Btu
35
Coal Recoverable Reserves
2017
37,892
Million Short Tons
6
Nuclear Electricity Net Generation
2016
76
Billion Kilowatthours
8
Imports of Dry Natural Gas
2017
458
Billion Cubic Feet
25
See more rankings ›
Map of Ukraine
Map of Ukraine

Analysis - Energy Sector Highlights Last updated: January 2017

  • Ukraine is an important transit country for supplies of oil and natural gas from Russia to countries throughout Europe.
  • According to BP Statistical Review of World Energy 2016, coal made up the largest component of Ukraine's primary energy consumption in 2015 at 34%, followed by natural gas at 30% and nuclear at 23%. Only a relatively small portion of the country's total energy consumption is accounted for by petroleum and other liquid fuels (10%) and renewable energy sources (2%).
  • Total energy consumption in Ukraine decreased by about 16% in 2015, largely due to a decline in industrial output. Despite some gains in energy efficiency in the industrial sector, Ukraine's economy is one of the most energy-intensive in Europe. Ukraine's economic growth is hindered by a lack of investments for energy infrastructure modernization, low energy prices for consumers, unstable energy supplies, and inefficiencies in energy consumption.
  • Historically, Ukraine has relied on natural gas from Russia for a majority of its domestic natural gas consumption. As a result of political tensions with Russia, in recent years, Ukraine has sought to diversify its supplies. From 2014 to 2015, natural gas from Russia decreased from 74% to 37% of total Ukrainian imports, while natural gas imports from Europe increased from 26% to 63%, according to Naftogaz, Ukraine's state oil and gas company. The reversal of natural gas flows on pipelines linking Ukraine to Slovakia, Poland, and Hungary increased the natural gas imports from Europe to Ukraine.
  • In 2015, Ukraine consumed approximately 236,000 barrels per day (b/d) of liquid fuels, down from about 300,000 b/d in 2010, and produced only 60,000 b/d of crude oil and other liquids This supply deficit has caused Ukraine to depend on crude oil and oil product imports primarily from Russia, Kazakhstan, Belarus, and Lithuania to meet the remainder of its demand. Crude oil imports, which are sourced primarily from Russia and which supply Ukraine's sole operating refinery, the Kremenchug facility, have dwindled in the past few years, leaving the refinery to rely on domestic production. In 2015, Ukraine imported virtually all of its crude oil from Kazakhstan instead and plans to increase imports from Kazakhstan to about 40,000 b/d. The Ukrainian government announced in April 2016 that it plans to ban imports of oil products from Russia.

read full analysis ›

Data