U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
The taxes on retail gasoline and diesel fuel, in cents per gallon, as of January 1, 2017:
|Average of all states||27.30||27.94|
State-by-state fuel taxes
- 8.2.1. Federal excise tax rates on motor fuels and lubricating oil
- 8.2.3. State tax rates on motor fuel 2000–2015
Articles on taxes
Last updated: February 28, 2017
Other FAQs about Diesel
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish off-road diesel fuel prices?
- How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
- How many gallons of gasoline and diesel fuel are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much biodiesel is produced, imported, exported, and consumed in the United States?
- How much carbon dioxide is produced by burning gasoline and diesel fuel?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- Why are diesel fuel prices higher than gasoline prices?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What are the projections for U.S. gasoline and diesel fuel prices?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?