U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
State Profile and Energy Estimates
Choose a U.S. State or Territory
- In 2015, Minnesota ranked fourth in the nation in ethanol production nameplate capacity and fifth in operating production.
- The Pine Bend Refinery, the largest oil refinery in Minnesota, is the largest oil refinery located in a non-oil-producing state.
- About 44% of utility-scale electricity generation in Minnesota came from coal-fired electric power plants in 2015. Most of Minnesota's coal supply comes by rail from Wyoming and Montana.
- Two nuclear power plants in Minnesota, the Monticello reactor and the Prairie Island I and II reactors, accounted for 20.9% of the state's net electricity generation in 2015.
- Minnesota ranked seventh in the nation in net electricity generation from wind energy in 2015. Minnesota's net generation from wind was 9.8 million megawatthours in 2015.
Last Updated: March 17, 2016
More Data & Analysis in Minnesota
Minnesota, U.S. Rankings
|Total Energy per Capita||18|
|Total Energy per Capita||22|
|Carbon Dioxide Emissions||22|
Today In Energy
Minnesota at a GlanceHousehold
Fact Sheet ›