U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Petroleum & Other Liquids
Petroleum Marketing Monthly
Data for June 2016 | Release Date: September 1, 2016 | Next Release: October 3, 2016 | full report
Monthly price and volume statistics on crude oil and petroleum products at a national, regional
and state level.
Figure HL1. Crude oil and petroleum product wholesale prices figure data
- Monthly average crude oil prices increased in June. The average domestic crude oil first purchase price rose $2.94 (7.2%), to $43.96 per barrel.
- The average free-on-board (f.o.b.) cost of imported crude oil climbed $4.24 (11.1%) to $42.56 per barrel. The average landed cost of foreign crude oil increased $3.25 (8.0%), to $43.87 per barrel.
- The average refiner acquisition cost for domestic crude oil rose $2.78 (6.2%), to $47.55 per barrel. The average cost of imported crude oil climbed $3.24 (8.0%), to $44.13 per barrel. The composite refiner acquisition cost for crude oil increased $3.07 (7.2%), to $45.95 per barrel.
- Monthly average prices for sales of motor gasoline by refiners rose in June. The average retail price climbed 9.2 cents to $1.961 per gallon, while the average wholesale price rose 3.0 cents to $1.643 per gallon.
- Refiner sales of finished motor gasoline increased in June. Total sales rose 9.8 million gallons per day (3.0%) to an average of 341.6 million gallons per day. Retail sales rose 700,000 gallons per day (2.7%), while wholesales increased 9.1 million gallons per day (3.0%). DTW sales accounted for 7.5% of wholesales, while rack and bulk sales made up 85.2% and 7.3%, respectively.
No. 2 distillate
- Monthly average prices for refiner sales of No. 2 distillates increased in June. The average price for No. 2 diesel fuel sold to end users rose 11.0 cents to $1.665 per gallon, while the average wholesale price climbed 9.9 cents to $1.531 per gallon. The average retail price for No. 2 fuel oil increased 12.8 cents to $1.861 per gallon, while the average wholesale price rose 11.3 cents to $1.404 per gallon.
- Refiner sales of No. 2 ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel increased in June. Retail sales remained flat, while wholesales climbed 1.6 million gallons per day (1.1%).
Residual fuel oil
- Monthly average prices for residual fuel oil sold by refiners increased during June. The wholesale price for low-sulfur residual fuel oil climbed 12.1 cents to 85.0 cents per gallon. Prices for high-sulfur residual fuel oil rose 4.3 cents to 91.1 cents per gallon at retail, while the wholesale price increased 10.1 cents to 82.3 cents per gallon.
- Sales of residual fuel oil by refiners decreased in June. Retail sales fell 100,000 gallons per day (2.6%), while wholesales declined 1.0 million gallons per day (10.1%).
- Monthly average prices for refiner sales of the remaining surveyed products were mostly on the rise during June. While prices for propane fell at both retail and wholesale, kerosene-type jet fuel prices increased at both levels. Prices for aviation gasoline, kerosene, No. 1 distillate, and No. 4 distillate rose at wholesale.
- Trends in refiner sales of other products varied in June. Sales of propane and kerosene-type jet fuel rose at retail but fell at wholesale. Aviation gasoline sales increased at the wholesale level, while sales of kerosene, No. 1 distillate, and No. 4 distillate fell in the same category.