U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Petroleum & Other Liquids
Petroleum Marketing Monthly
Data for November 2015 | Release Date: February 1, 2016 | Next Release: March 1, 2016 | full report
Monthly price and volume statistics on crude oil and petroleum products at a national, regional
and state level.
Figure HL1. Crude oil and petroleum product wholesale prices figure data
- Monthly average crude oil prices decreased in all sales categories in November. The average domestic crude oil first purchase price fell $4.14 (9.8%), to $38.19 per barrel.
- The average free-on-board (f.o.b.) cost of imported crude oil declined $2.06 (5.5%) to $35.22 per barrel. The average landed cost of foreign crude oil decreased $2.61 (6.4%), to $38.04 per barrel.
- The average refiner acquisition cost for domestic crude oil fell $3.65 (7.8%), to $43.37 per barrel. The average cost of imported crude oil declined $2.97 (7.1%), to $39.06 per barrel. The composite refiner acquisition cost for crude oil decreased $3.31 (7.4%), to $41.47 per barrel.
- Refiner monthly average prices for sales of motor gasoline continued to decline in November. The average retail price decreased 13.8 cents to $1.711 per gallon, while the average wholesale price fell 13.2 cents to $1.426 per gallon.
- Sales of finished motor gasoline by refiners decreased in November. Total sales fell 2.3 million gallons per day (0.7%) to an average of 323.4 million gallons per day. Retail sales declined 800,000 gallons per day (3.1%), while wholesales dropped 1.5 million gallons per day (0.5%). DTW sales accounted for 7.6% of wholesales, while rack and bulk sales made up 85.0% and 7.4%, respectively.
No. 2 distillate
- Monthly average prices for refiner sales of No. 2 distillates fell in November. The average price for No. 2 diesel fuel sold to end users declined 9.9 cents to $1.603 per gallon, while the average wholesale price decreased 11.6 cents to $1.456 per gallon. The average wholesale price for No. 2 fuel oil declined 5.5 cents to $1.356 per gallon.
- Refiner sales of No. 2 ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel decreased again in November. Retail sales dropped 200,000 gallons per day (1.7%), while wholesales declined 10.1 million gallons per day (6.9%).
Residual fuel oil
- Refiner monthly average prices for residual fuel oil fell in November. The wholesale price for low-sulfur residual fuel oil decreased 3.6 cents to 77.6 cents per gallon. Prices for high-sulfur residual fuel oil dropped 4.7 cents to 99.4 cents per gallon at retail, while the wholesale price declined 4.9 cents to 79.1 cents per gallon.
- Overall, sales of residual fuel oil by refiners increased in November. While retail sales climbed 700,000 gallons per day (18.9%), wholesales fell 200,000 gallons per day (2.4%).
- Refiner monthly average prices for propane and kerosene-type jet fuel fell at both the retail and wholesale levels in November. Prices for kerosene, aviation gasoline, and No. 1 distillate also declined at the wholesale level.
- Refiner sales of the products included in this section varied during November. Sales of propane increased at both the retail and wholesale levels, while kerosene-type jet fuel sales declined at retail, but rose at wholesale. Aviation gasoline and kerosene fell at the wholesale level, while sales of No. 1 distillate increased in the same category.