U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Petroleum & Other Liquids
Petroleum Marketing Monthly
Data for November | Release Date: February 1, 2017 | Next Release: March 1, 2017 | full report
Monthly price and volume statistics on crude oil and petroleum products at a national, regional
and state level.
Figure HL1. Crude oil and petroleum product wholesale prices figure data
- Crude oil monthly average prices fell in November. The average domestic crude oil first purchase price decreased $3.35 (7.4%), to $41.65 per barrel.
- The average free-on-board (f.o.b.) cost of imported crude oil declined $2.77 (6.5%) to $39.60 per barrel. The average landed cost of foreign crude oil fell $2.53 (5.8%), to $41.34 per barrel.
- The average refiner acquisition cost for domestic crude oil declined $2.56 (5.3%), to $46.10 per barrel. The average cost of imported crude oil decreased $2.96 (6.6%), to $41.80 per barrel. The composite refiner acquisition cost for crude oil dropped $2.79 (6.0%), to $44.06 per barrel.
- November monthly average prices for refiner sales of motor gasoline fell from October levels. The average retail price decreased 6.0 cents to $1.759 per gallon, while the average wholesale price declined 14.1 cents to $1.427 per gallon.
- Refiner sales of finished motor gasoline decreased in November. Total sales decreased 3.2 million gallons per day (1.0%) to an average of 324.6 million gallons per day. Retail sales fell 1.3 million gallons per day (5.0%), while wholesales dropped 1.9 million gallons per day (0.6%). DTW sales accounted for 7.5% of wholesales, while rack and bulk sales made up 86.4% and 6.1%, respectively.
No. 2 distillate
- Monthly average prices for refiner sales of No. 2 distillates declined in November. The average price for No. 2 diesel fuel sold to end users fell 10.5 cents to $1.601 per gallon, while the average wholesale price decreased 12.3 cents to $1.469 per gallon. The average price for sales of No. 2 fuel oil sold to end users fell 15.4 cents to $1.787 per gallon, while the wholesale price for No. 2 fuel oil dropped 5.9 cents to $1.384 per gallon.
- Total refiner sales of No. 2 ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel decreased in November. While retail sales rose 200,000 gallons per day (1.6%), wholesales fell 1.7 million gallons per day (1.2%).
Residual fuel oil
- Refiner monthly average residual fuel oil prices decreased in November. The wholesale price for low-sulfur residual fuel oil dropped 4.1 cents to 92.0 cents per gallon. Prices for high-sulfur residual fuel oil fell 5.1 cents to $1.040 per gallon at retail, while the wholesale price decreased 2.8 cents to 90.7 cents per gallon.
- Overall, sales of residual fuel oil by refiners declined in November. Retail sales decreased 900,000 gallons per day (20.5%), while wholesales rose 100,000 gallons per day (1.4%).
- Average prices for refiner sales of the remaining surveyed products were generally on the decline in November. Propane and kerosene-type jet fuel prices fell at both the retail and wholesale levels, while prices for No. 1 distillate show mixed trends. Aviation gasoline and kerosene prices decreased at wholesale.
- The volume of refiner sales of products included in this section varied in November. Propane and No. 1 distillate sales increased at both the retail and wholesale levels, while sales of kerosene-type jet fuel rose at retail, but fell at wholesale. Aviation gasoline sales fell at the wholesale level, while kerosene sales increased in the same sales category.