U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Petroleum & Other Liquids
Petroleum Marketing Monthly
Data for August 2015 | Release Date: November 2, 2015 | Next Release: December 1, 2015 | full report
Monthly price and volume statistics on crude oil and petroleum products at a national, regional
and state level.
Figure HL1. Crude oil and petroleum product wholesale prices figure data
- Monthly average crude oil prices fell in all sales categories again in August. The average domestic crude oil first purchase price declined $7.72 (16.2%), to $39.98 per barrel.
- The average free-on-board (f.o.b.) cost of imported crude oil decreased $7.54 (16.4%) to $38.32 per barrel. The average landed cost of foreign crude oil dropped $8.31 (16.6%), to $41.70 per barrel.
- The average refiner acquisition cost for domestic crude oil declined $7.82 (14.4%), to $46.33 per barrel. The average cost of imported crude oil dropped $9.17 (17.5%), to $43.25 per barrel. The composite refiner acquisition cost for crude oil fell $8.42 (15.8%), to $44.99 per barrel.
- Refiner monthly average prices for sales of motor gasoline declined in August. The average retail price fell 11.5 cents to $2.223 per gallon, while the average wholesale price decreased 23.4 cents to $1.838 per gallon.
- Sales of finished motor gasoline by refiners decreased in August. Total sales fell 1.4 million gallons per day (0.4%) to an average of 330.0 million gallons per day. Retail sales declined 400,000 gallons per day (1.5%), while wholesales decreased 1.0 million gallons per day (0.3%). DTW sales accounted for 7.6% of wholesales, while rack and bulk sales made up 85.5% and 6.8%, respectively.
No. 2 distillate
- Monthly average prices for refiner sales of No. 2 distillates continued to decline in August. The average sales price for No. 2 diesel fuel to end users fell 17.5 cents to $1.738 per gallon, while the average wholesale price decreased 16.7 cents to $1.562 per gallon. The average sales price for No. 2 fuel oil to end users declined 16.1 cents to $2.046 per gallon, while the average wholesale price for No. 2 fuel oil dropped 19.3 cents to $1.461 per gallon.
- Overall, refiner sales of No. 2 ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel declined in August. Retail sales increased 100,000 gallons per day (0.8%), while wholesales fell 4.6 million gallons per day (3.1%).
Residual fuel oil
- Refiner monthly average prices for residual fuel oil declined in August. The wholesale price for low-sulfur residual fuel oil fell 23.3 cents to 84.7 cents per gallon. Prices for high-sulfur residual fuel oil decreased 9.5 cents to $1.150 per gallon at retail, while the wholesale price dropped 20.2 cents to 92.8 cents per gallon.
- Total sales of residual fuel oil by refiners increased in August. Retail sales rose 700,000 gallons per day (19.4%), while wholesales climbed 900,000 gallons per day (10.8%).
- Refiner monthly average prices for sales of the remaining surveyed products declined in August. Propane and kerosene-type jet fuel prices fell at both the retail and wholesale levels, while prices for aviation gasoline, kerosene, No. 1 distillate, and No. 4 distillate registered decreases at the wholesale level.
- Refiner sales of products included in this section were mixed during August. Sales of propane increased at both the retail and wholesale levels, while sales of kerosene-type jet fuel show the opposite trend. Aviation gasoline and No. 4 distillate sales fell at wholesale, while sales of kerosene and No. 1 distillate declined in the same category.