U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Petroleum & Other Liquids
Petroleum Marketing Monthly
Data for July 2016 | Release Date: October 3, 2016 | Next Release: November 1, 2016 | full report
Monthly price and volume statistics on crude oil and petroleum products at a national, regional
and state level.
Figure HL1. Crude oil and petroleum product wholesale prices figure data
- Monthly average crude oil prices fell in July. The average domestic crude oil first purchase price declined $3.26 (7.4%), to $40.70 per barrel.
- The average free-on-board (f.o.b.) cost of imported crude oil decreased $2.47 (5.9%) to $39.51 per barrel. The average landed cost of foreign crude oil fell $2.59 (5.9%), to $41.02 per barrel.
- The average refiner acquisition cost for domestic crude oil decreased $2.70 (5.7%), to $44.87 per barrel. The average cost of imported crude oil declined $2.55 (5.8%), to $41.58 per barrel. The composite refiner acquisition cost for crude oil fell $2.65 (5.8%), to $43.31 per barrel.
- Monthly average prices for sales of motor gasoline by refiners declined during July. The average retail price fell 15.7 cents to $1.804 per gallon, while the average wholesale price decreased 15.4 cents to $1.489 per gallon.
- Refiner sales of finished motor gasoline rose in July. Total sales increased 400,000 gallons per day (0.1%) to an average of 342.0 million gallons per day. Retail sales fell 400,000 gallons per day (1.5%), while wholesales increased 800,000 gallons per day (0.3%). DTW sales accounted for 7.5% of wholesales, while rack and bulk sales made up 84.6% and 7.9%, respectively.
No. 2 distillate
- Monthly average prices for refiner sales of No. 2 distillates decreased in July. The average price for No. 2 diesel fuel sold to end users dropped 8.5 cents to $1.576 per gallon, while the average wholesale price fell 10.5 cents to $1.426 per gallon. The average retail price for No. 2 fuel oil declined 4.7 cents to $1.814 per gallon, while the average wholesale price dropped 9.9 cents to $1.305 per gallon.
- Refiner sales of No. 2 ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel were mixed in July. Retail sales rose 100,000 gallons per day (0.8%), while wholesales fell 6.7 million gallons per day (4.9%).
Residual fuel oil
- Monthly average prices for residual fuel oil sold by refiners continued to rise during July. The wholesale price for low-sulfur residual fuel oil rose 2.6 cents to 87.6 cents per gallon. Prices for high-sulfur residual fuel oil increased 4.7 cents to 95.8 cents per gallon at retail, while the wholesale price rose 1.1 cents to 83.4 cents per gallon.
- Overall, sales of residual fuel oil by refiners declined in July. Retail sales increased 300,000 gallons per day (7.9%), while wholesales fell 1.0 million gallons per day (11.2%).
- July monthly average prices for refiner sales of the remaining surveyed products fell from June levels. Propane, kerosene-type jet fuel, and No. 1 distillate prices fell at both retail and wholesale. Prices for aviation gasoline and kerosene also decreased at the wholesale level.
- Trends in refiner sales of products included in this section varied in July. Sales of propane declined at both the retail and wholesale levels, while sales of No. 1 distillate did just the opposite. Kerosene-type jet fuel sales fell at retail but increased at wholesale. Aviation gasoline sales declined at the wholesale, while sales of kerosene rose in the same category.