U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Petroleum & Other Liquids
Petroleum Marketing Monthly
Data for July 2015 | Release Date: October 1, 2015 | Next Release: November 2, 2015 | full report
Monthly price and volume statistics on crude oil and petroleum products at a national, regional
and state level.
Figure HL1. Crude oil and petroleum product wholesale prices figure data
- July monthly average crude oil prices declined in all sales categories. The average domestic crude oil first purchase price fell $8.18 (14.6%), to $47.70 per barrel.
- The average free-on-board (f.o.b.) cost of imported crude oil decreased $5.60 (10.4%) to $47.99 per barrel. The average landed cost of foreign crude oil fell $5.87 (10.3%), to $51.07 per barrel.
- The average refiner acquisition cost for domestic crude oil decline $6.89 (11.3%), to $54.17 per barrel. The average cost of imported crude oil fell $6.43 (10.9%), to $52.47 per barrel. The composite refiner acquisition cost for crude oil decreased $6.68 (11.1%), to $53.44 per barrel.
- Refiner monthly average prices for sales of motor gasoline fell in July. The average retail price dropped 3.6 cents to $2.338 per gallon, while the average wholesale price decreased 4.9 cents to $2.072 per gallon.
- Refiner sales of finished motor gasoline rose in July. Total sales increased 300,000 gallons per day (0.1%) to an average of 331.3 million gallons per day. Retail sales climbed 300,000 gallons per day (1.2%), while wholesales remained flat. DTW sales accounted for 7.4% of wholesales, while rack and bulk sales made up 86.5% and 6.1%, respectively.
No. 2 distillate
- July monthly average prices for refiner sales of No. 2 distillates declined from June levels. The average sales price for No. 2 diesel fuel to end users decreased 10.8 cents to $1.914 per gallon, while the average wholesale price fell 15.2 cents to $1.729 per gallon. The average sales price for No. 2 fuel oil to end users declined 11.4 cents to $2.207 per gallon, while the average wholesale price for No. 2 fuel oil fell 16.8 cents to $1.645 per gallon.
- Refiner sales of No. 2 ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel decreased in July. Retail sales fell 400,000 gallons per day (3.2%), while wholesales declined 4.1 million gallons per day (2.7%).
Residual fuel oil
- Refiner monthly average prices for residual fuel oil decreased in July. The wholesale price for low-sulfur residual fuel oil fell 9.5 cents to $1.080 per gallon. Prices for high-sulfur residual fuel oil declined 22.9 cents to $1.245 per gallon at retail, while the wholesale price dropped 10.9 cents to $1.130 per gallon.
- Total sales of residual fuel oil by refiners declined in July. Retail sales fell 1.0 million gallons per day (21.7%), while wholesales decreased 600,000 gallons per day (6.7%).
- July prices for the remaining surveyed products generally declined from June levels. Propane prices increased at retail, but remained flat at wholesale, while prices for kerosene-type jet fuel fell at both levels. Wholesale prices for aviation gasoline, kerosene, No. 1 distillate, and No. 4 distillate declined in July.
- During July, refiner sales of propane increased at the retail level, but fell at wholesale. Sales of kerosene-type jet fuel were flat at retail, and declined at wholesale. Aviation gasoline, No. 1 distillate, and No. 4 distillate sales rose at the wholesale level, while kerosene sales declined in the same category.