U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Petroleum & Other Liquids
Petroleum Marketing Monthly
Data for June 2015 | Release Date: September 1, 2015 | Next Release: October 1, 2015 | full report
Monthly price and volume statistics on crude oil and petroleum products at a national, regional
and state level.
Figure HL1. Crude oil and petroleum product wholesale prices figure data
- Monthly average crude oil prices continued to rise in June. The average domestic crude oil first purchase price increased $1.50 (2.8%), to $55.88 per barrel.
- The average free-on-board (f.o.b.) cost of imported crude oil rose $1.37 (2.6%) to $55.08 per barrel. The average landed cost of foreign crude oil increased 49 cents (0.9%), to $57.43 per barrel.
- The average refiner acquisition cost for domestic crude oil climbed $1.68 (2.8%), to $61.07 per barrel. The average cost of imported crude oil rose $1.31 (2.3%), to $58.97 per barrel. The composite refiner acquisition cost for crude oil increased $1.49 (2.5%), to $60.15 per barrel.
- Refiner monthly average prices for sales of motor gasoline rose in June. The average retail price increased 5.2 cents to $2.374 per gallon, while the average wholesale price rose 4.1 cents to $2.121 per gallon.
- Refiner sales of finished motor gasoline increased in June. Total sales rose 5.7 million gallons per day (1.7%) to an average of 331.6 million gallons per day. Retail sales increased 100,000 gallons per day (0.4%), while wholesales climbed 5.6 million gallons per day (1.9%). DTW sales accounted for 7.6% of wholesales, while rack and bulk sales made up 85.8% and 6.6%, respectively.
No. 2 distillate
- Monthly average prices for sales of No. 2 distillates by refiners mostly declined in June. The average sales price for No. 2 diesel fuel to end users fell 7.1 cents to $2.019 per gallon, while the average wholesale price decreased 9.2 cents to $1.881 per gallon. The average sales price for No. 2 fuel oil to end users rose 1.3 cents to $2.321 per gallon, while the average wholesale price for No. 2 fuel oil declined 3.9 cents to $1.813 per gallon.
- Refiner sales of No. 2 ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel increased in June. Retail sales rose 1.0 million gallons per day (8.8%), while wholesales climbed 11.1 million gallons per day (7.9%).
Residual fuel oil
- Refiner monthly average prices for residual fuel oil show mixed trends in June. The wholesale price for low-sulfur residual fuel oil decreased 2.3 cents to $1.175 per gallon. Prices for high-sulfur residual fuel oil rose 3.1 cents to $1.474 per gallon at retail, while the wholesale price dropped 0.3 cent to $1.239 per gallon.
- Total sales of residual fuel oil by refiners rose during June. Retail sales increased 700,000 gallons per day (17.9%), while wholesales climbed 900,000 gallons per day (11.3%).
- Prices for the remaining surveyed products declined for the most part in June. Propane and kerosene-type jet fuel prices fell at both retail and wholesale. Prices for kerosene and No. 1 distillate fell at the wholesale level, while aviation gasoline and No. 4 distillate prices increased at wholesale.
- During June, refiner sales of propane fell at retail, but rose at wholesale, while sales of kerosene-type jet fuel increased at both levels. Kerosene, No. 1 distillate, and No. 4 distillate sales decreased at wholesale, while sales of aviation gasoline increased in the same category.