U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Petroleum & Other Liquids
Petroleum Marketing Monthly
Data for March 2016 | Release Date: June 1, 2016 | Next Release: July 1, 2016 | full report
Monthly price and volume statistics on crude oil and petroleum products at a national, regional
and state level.
Figure HL1. Crude oil and petroleum product wholesale prices figure data
- Monthly average crude oil prices increased in all sales categories during March. The average domestic crude oil first purchase price rose $6.36 (24.9%), to $31.87 per barrel.
- The average free-on-board (f.o.b.) cost of imported crude oil climbed $5.09 (20.7%) to $29.73 per barrel. The average landed cost of foreign crude oil increased $4.66 (17.6%), to $31.16 per barrel.
- The average refiner acquisition cost for domestic crude oil rose $4.98 (16.4%), to $35.28 per barrel. The average cost of imported crude oil climbed $5.64 (21.2%), to $32.25 per barrel. The composite refiner acquisition cost for crude oil increased $5.29 (18.5%), to $33.82 per barrel.
- March monthly average prices for sales of motor gasoline by refiners rose in all sales categories. The average retail price increased 22.1 cents to $1.553 per gallon, while the average wholesale price climbed 28.9 cents to $1.335 per gallon.
- Refiner sales of finished motor gasoline increased in March. Total sales rose 9.0 million gallons per day (2.8%) to an average of 329.2 million gallons per day. Retail sales fell 200,000 gallons per day (0.8%), while wholesales rose 9.2 million gallons per day (3.1%). DTW sales accounted for 7.7% of wholesales, while rack and bulk sales made up 83.9% and 8.4%, respectively.
No. 2 distillate
- Monthly average prices for refiner sales of No. 2 distillates increased in March. The average price for No. 2 diesel fuel sold to end users rose 13.1 cents to $1.316 per gallon, while the average wholesale price climbed 14.6 cents to $1.189 per gallon. The average retail price for No. 2 fuel oil rose 14.8 cents to $1.555 per gallon, while the average wholesale price increased 12.2 cents to $1.070 per gallon.
- Refiner sales of No. 2 ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel were mixed in March. Retail sales fell 300,000 gallons per day (2.5%), while wholesales rose 3.5 million gallons per day (2.7%).
Residual fuel oil
- Monthly average prices for residual fuel oil sales by refiners increased during March. The wholesale price for low-sulfur residual fuel oil climbed 10.7 cents to 58.2 cents per gallon. Prices for high-sulfur residual fuel oil rose 6.6 cents to 67.2 cents per gallon at retail, while the wholesale price increased 3.7 cents to 54.5 cents per gallon.
- Sales of residual fuel oil by refiners were flat in March. Retail sales rose 200,000 gallons per day (5.1%), while wholesales fell 200,000 gallons per day (2.2%).
- Prices for refiner sales of the remaining surveyed products increased during March. Retail and wholesale prices for propane and kerosene-type jet fuel rose at both levels. Prices for aviation gasoline, kerosene, and No. 1 distillate increased at the wholesale level.
- Refiner sales of these products show mixed trends in March. Propane sales fell at both the retail and wholesale levels, while sales of kerosene-type jet fuel sales rose at retail but fell at wholesale. Sales of aviation gasoline, kerosene, and No. 1 distillate decreased at the wholesale level.