Nuclear & Uranium

‹ See All Nuclear Reports

Domestic Uranium Production Report - Quarterly

Data for 4th Quarter 2013  |  Release Date: January 31, 2014  |  Next Release Date: May 2014  |   full report

Previous Issues

4th Quarter 2013

U.S. production of uranium concentrate in the fourth quarter 2013 was 1,095,168 pounds U3O8, down 6 percent from the previous quarter and up 14 percent from the fourth quarter 2012. During the fourth quarter 2013, U.S. uranium was produced at seven U.S. uranium facilities, one more than in the last quarter.

U.S. uranium mill in production (state)
  1. White Mesa Mill (Utah)
U.S. uranium in-situ-leach plants in production (state)
  1. Alta Mesa Project (Texas)
  2. Crow Butte Operation (Nebraska)
  3. Hobson ISR Plant/La Palangana (Texas)
  4. Lost Creek Project (Wyoming)
  5. Smith Ranch-Highland Operation (Wyoming)
  6. Willow Creek Project (Wyoming)

With the Lost Creek Project now producing, Wyoming had three uranium concentrate processing facilities operating this quarter. Uranium concentrate production from Wyoming totaled 883,544 pounds U3O8, (81 percent of U.S. production), with the remaining 211,624 pounds U3O8 (19 percent) coming from Nebraska, Texas, and Utah. When possible, EIA will report aggregate state-level data provided individual company data are not disclosed, as is the case for uranium concentrate production from Wyoming this quarter.

Preliminary 2013 total

U.S. uranium concentrate production totaled 4,807,709 pounds U3O8 in 2013. This amount is at its highest level since 1997 and is 16% higher than the 4,145,647 pounds produced in 2012. U.S. production in 2013 represents about 10% of the 2013 anticipated uranium market requirements of 50 million pounds at U.S. civilian nuclear power reactors.1

Figure 1. Uranium concentrate production in the United States, 1996 - 3rd Quarter 2013 figure data