U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How much energy is used in buildings in the United States?
Roughly 41% of total U.S. energy consumption in 2011 was used in buildings, or about 40 quadrillion Btu.
EIA has estimates for total monthly and annual energy consumption by the residential and commercial sectors, which can be assumed to be nearly all "building-related," and that those sectors account for nearly all the U.S. building-related energy consumption.
The commercial sector includes some "non-building-related" energy consumption for street and other outdoor lighting, water and sewage treatment, and some other miscellaneous end-uses, but which are relatively minor contributors to that sector's total energy consumption.
EIA has detailed estimates for energy use for specific years in residential and commercial buildings, and for heating, ventilation, cooling, and lighting in manufacturing facilities. Those data do not represent the total energy consumption for residential, commercial, and industrial sectors in those years.
Last reviewed: January 2, 2013
Other FAQs about General Energy
- Does EIA have city or county-level energy consumption and price data?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have energy prices for countries?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of electric power plants and transmission lines in the United States?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of natural gas and oil pipelines?
- How do I cite information on EIA's website in a bibliography?
- How many smart meters are installed in the U.S. and who has them?
- How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
- How much energy does a person use in a year?
- How much energy is consumed in the world by each sector?
- How much energy is used in buildings in the United States?
- Where can I find out about energy-related grants or tax credits for my home or business?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Who do I contact to complain about high energy prices?
- How much of the world's energy does the United States use?
- How much of world energy consumption and electricity generation is from renewable energy?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?