U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How much energy is consumed in residential and commercial buildings in the United States?
Nearly 40% of total U.S. energy consumption in 2012 was consumed in residential and commercial buildings, or about 40 quadrillion British thermal units.
EIA has estimates for total monthly and annual energy consumption by the residential and commercial sectors, which is nearly all "building-related." Those sectors account for nearly all the U.S. building-related energy consumption.
Energy consumption by the commercial sector includes "non-building-related" street and other outdoor lighting, and water and sewage treatment but these are relatively small contributors to the commercial sector's total energy consumption.
EIA has detailed estimates for energy consumption for specific years in residential and commercial buildings, and for heating, ventilation, cooling, and lighting in manufacturing facilities. However, those data do not represent the total energy consumption for residential, commercial, and industrial sectors in those years.
Last reviewed: May 28, 2013
Other FAQs about General Energy
- Does EIA have city or county-level energy consumption and price data?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have energy prices for countries?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of electric power plants and transmission lines in the United States?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How do I cite information on EIA's website in a bibliography?
- How many smart meters are installed in the U.S. and who has them?
- How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
- How much energy does a person use in a year?
- How much energy is consumed in residential and commercial buildings in the United States?
- How much energy is consumed in the world by each sector?
- Where can I find out about energy-related grants or tax credits for my home or business?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Who do I contact to complain about high energy prices?
- How much of the world's energy does the United States use?
- How much of world energy consumption and electricity generation is from renewable energy?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?