U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How much energy is consumed in residential and commercial buildings in the United States?
In 2015, about 40% of total U.S. energy consumption was consumed in residential and commercial buildings, or about 39 quadrillion British thermal units.
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) publishes estimates for monthly and annual energy consumption by the residential sector and the commercial sector, which is mostly building-related. These sectors account for nearly all of the energy consumption in U.S. buildings.
Energy consumption by the commercial sector also includes energy consumption for street and other outdoor lighting, and for water and sewage treatment. However, these energy uses are relatively small contributors to the commercial sector's total energy consumption.
EIA publishes detailed estimates for energy consumption in specific years in residential and commercial buildings. EIA also publishes estimates for heating, ventilation, cooling, and lighting in manufacturing facilities in specific years. However, these data do not represent the total energy consumption for the residential sector, the commercial sector, and the industrial sector for those years.
Last updated: April 6, 2016
Other FAQs about General Energy
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of electric power plants and transmission lines in the United States?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How do I compare the cost of heating fuels?
- How many smart meters are installed in the United States, and who has them?
- How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
- How much energy does a person use in a year?
- How much energy is consumed in residential and commercial buildings in the United States?
- How much energy is consumed in the world by each sector?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- How much of world energy consumption and electricity generation is from renewable energy?
- What is the United States’ share of world energy consumption?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?