U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How much of the oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) cannot determine the exact amount of crude oil produced in the United States that is consumed, as refined products, in the United States. However, most of the crude oil produced in the United States is refined by U.S. refineries. The United States also produces other liquids that are used in the refining process or that are added to refined products. In December 2014, the United States produced about 9.2 million barrels of crude oil per day and about 3.1 million barrels per day of other noncrude petroleum products, including biofuels.
The United States exports small volumes of domestically produced crude oil, most of it to Canada, which may actually return to the United States as refined products. EIA is not able to track how much domestically produced crude oil is exported in the form of refined petroleum products.
Since May 2011, the United States has been a net exporter (exports were greater than imports) of noncrude oil petroleum products. The volume of net exports of U.S. noncrude petroleum products in December 2014 was equivalent to about 12% of the total volume of U.S. petroleum consumption in December 2014.
Last updated: March 12, 2015
Other FAQs about Crude Oil
- Do we have enough oil worldwide to meet our future needs?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- Does EIA have data on shale (or “tight oil”) production?
- Does EIA have data on the movement of crude oil and ethanol by rail and truck?
- Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How many gallons of diesel fuel and gasoline are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- How much of the oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil consumed by the United States comes from foreign sources?
- How much oil is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and from where?
- What are the products and uses of petroleum?
- What countries are the top world oil net importers?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?