U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How much of the oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) cannot determine the exact amount of crude oil produced in the United States that is consumed, as refined products, in the United States. However, most of the crude oil produced in the United States is refined by U.S. refineries. The United States also produces other liquids that are used in the refining process or that are added to refined products. In June 2015, the United States produced an average of about 9.3 million barrels of crude oil per day, about 4.1 million barrels per day of other noncrude petroleum liquids, and about 1.1 million barrels per day of biofuels.
The United States exports small volumes of domestically produced crude oil, most of it to Canada, which may actually return to the United States as refined products. EIA is not able to track how much domestically produced crude oil is exported in the form of refined petroleum products.
In early 2011, the United States became a net exporter (exports were greater than imports) of noncrude petroleum liquids and refined petroleum products.
Last updated: September 14, 2015
Other FAQs about Crude Oil
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- Does EIA have data on the movement of crude oil, ethanol, and biodiesel by rail and truck?
- Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does the world have enough oil to meet our future needs?
- How many gallons of diesel fuel and gasoline are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- How much of the oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil consumed by the United States comes from foreign countries?
- How much oil is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and export?
- How much shale (tight) oil is produced in the United States?
- What are the products and uses of petroleum?
- What countries are the top net importers of oil?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?