U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
‹ SEE CURRENT NATURAL GAS MONTHLY UPDATE
Natural Gas Monthly
Data for May 2016 | Release Date: July 29, 2016 | Next Release: August 31, 2016 | full report
Table of Contentsall tables
Natural Gas Monthly Contacts
- In May 2016, for the second consecutive month, dry natural gas production decreased year-to-year for the same month in 2015. Preliminary dry natural gas production for May 2016 was 2,262 billion cubic feet (Bcf), or 73.0 Bcf/day. This level was a 0.6 Bcf/day (0.9%) decrease from the May 2015 level of 73.6 Bcf/day.
- Preliminary dry natural gas consumption for May 2016 was 1,992 Bcf, or 64.3 Bcf/day. This level was an increase of 6.2%, or 3.8 Bcf/day, from the 1,875 Bcf consumed in May 2015.
- Year-over-year total consumption of dry natural gas in May increased in all four consuming sectors. Deliveries of natural gas by consuming sector in May 2016 were as follows:
- Residential deliveries were 197 Bcf, or 6.4 Bcf/day, up 9.4% from 5.8 Bcf/day in May 2015.
- Commercial deliveries were 171 Bcf, or 5.5 Bcf/day, up 5.5% from 5.2 Bcf/day in May 2015.
- Industrial deliveries were 617 Bcf, or 19.9 Bcf/day, up 2.8% from 19.4 Bcf/day in May 2015. Industrial deliveries were the highest for the month since EIA began using the current sectoral definitions introduced in 2001.
- Electric power deliveries were 807 Bcf, or 26.0 Bcf/day, up 9.2% from 23.8 Bcf/day in May 2015. Electric power deliveries were the second-highest for the month since EIA began tracking them in 2001.