U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
‹ SEE CURRENT NATURAL GAS MONTHLY UPDATE
Natural Gas Monthly
Data for June 2016 | Release Date: August 31, 2016 | Next Release: September 30, 2016 | full report
Table of Contentsall tables
Natural Gas Monthly Contacts
- In June 2016, for the third consecutive month, dry natural gas production decreased year-to-year for the same month in 2015. Preliminary dry natural gas production for June 2016 was 2,167 billion cubic feet (Bcf), or 72.2 Bcf/day. This level was a 1.9 Bcf/day (2.6%) decrease from the June 2015 level of 74.1 Bcf/day.
- Preliminary dry natural gas consumption for June 2016 was 2,026 Bcf, or 67.5 Bcf/day. This level was an increase of 5.7%, or 3.7 Bcf/day, from the 1,916 Bcf consumed in June 2015.
- Year-over-year total consumption of dry natural gas in June increased in three of the four consuming sectors, with the exception being residential deliveries, which decreased year-to-year. Deliveries of natural gas by consuming sector in June 2016 were as follows:
- Residential deliveries in June 2016 were 123 Bcf, or 4.10 Bcf/day, down 0.8% from 4.13 Bcf/day in June 2015. Residential deliveries were the lowest for the month since EIA began tracking them in 1973, in part because temperatures in the Lower 48 states in June were the warmest on record.
- Commercial deliveries were 139 Bcf, or 4.6 Bcf/day, up 3.0% from 4.5 Bcf/day in June 2015.
- Industrial deliveries were 593 Bcf, or 19.8 Bcf/day, up 3.9% from 19.0 Bcf/day in June 2015. Industrial deliveries were the highest for the month since 2002.
- Electric power deliveries were 977 Bcf, or 32.6 Bcf/day, up 9.4% from 29.8 Bcf/day in June 2015. Electric power deliveries were the highest for the month since EIA began tracking them in 2001.