U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?
EIA has data on the types and amounts of energy produced in each state:
- Coal, crude oil, natural gas, and fuel ethanol production in physical units and British Thermal Unit (Btu) equivalents back to 1960 in our State Energy Data System (SEDS). To locate data for each state, click on the "Change State/Territory" field, which is above the "Overview" tab. Select a state and scroll over the "Data" tab, and in the drop down menu select a data period under "Energy Estimates (SEDS)." Scroll down the resulting page and select the "Production" bar to access pdf and csv files for data on the types and amounts of energy produced.
- Coal — most recent weekly, quarterly, and annual
- Crude Oil — most recent monthly and annual
- Natural Gas — most recent monthly and annual
- Natural Gas Plant Liquids — most recent monthly and annual
- Electricity — generation by fuel/energy source
Last updated: July 2, 2014
Other FAQs about Natural Gas
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish shale gas and coal bed methane production and reserves data?
- How does the U.S. Energy Information Administration calculate the year-ago and five-year averages in the Weekly Natural Gas Storage Report?
- How many gallons of diesel fuel and gasoline are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- Which states consume and produce the most natural gas?
- Why am I being charged more for propane than the price on EIA's website?
- How much natural gas does the United States have and how long will it last?
- How much natural gas is consumed in the United States?
- How much shale gas is produced in the United States?
- What are Ccf, Mcf, Btu, and therms? How do I convert natural gas prices in dollars per Ccf, or Mcf to dollars per Btu or therm?
- What are the major factors affecting natural gas prices?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- What is the average price of natural gas for U.S. electric power producers?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What is the volume of world natural gas reserves?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?