U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
In 2015, emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2) by the U.S. electric power sector1 were 1,925 million metric tons, or about 37% of the total U.S. energy-related CO2 emissions of 5,271 million metric tons.2
CO2 emissions from U.S. electric power sector by source, 2015
|Source||Million metric tons||Share of total|
1 An energy-consuming sector that consists of electricity-only power plants and combined-heat-and-power plants whose primary business is to sell electricity, or electricity and heat, to the public.
2 Preliminary data for 2015.
3 Includes CO2 emissions from the combustion of miscellaneous waste materials made from fossil fuels and by some types of geothermal power generation.
Monthly Energy Review, Tables 12.1 and 12.6 contain the most recent estimates of monthly and annual U.S. energy-related CO2 emissions, total and by the electric power sector.
Electric Power Annual, Table 9.1: Emissions from energy consumption at conventional power plants and combined-heat-and-power plants.
What are greenhouse gases and how much are emitted by the United States?
Energy Explained: Energy and the Environment–Greenhouse gases
Last updated: April 1, 2016
Other FAQs about Environment
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How do I convert between short tons and metric tons?
- How does the hole in the ozone layer affect global warming?
- How much carbon dioxide is produced by burning gasoline and diesel fuel?
- How much carbon dioxide is produced per kilowatthour when generating electricity with fossil fuels?
- How much carbon dioxide is produced when different fuels are burned?
- Why do carbon dioxide emissions weigh more than the original fuel?
- How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
- What are U.S. energy-related carbon dioxide emissions by source and sector?
- What are greenhouse gases and how do they affect the climate?
- What are the energy-related carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuels for the United States and the world?
- What are the greenhouse gas and air pollutant emissions factors for fuels and electricity?