U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the greenhouse gas and air pollutant emissions factors for fuels and electricity?
EIA publishes emission factors (or coefficients) for three major greenhouse gases: Carbon Dioxide (CO2), Methane (CH4) and Nitrous Oxide (N20), and for the criteria air pollutants; Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) and Nitrogen Oxides (NOx), which are released when fuels are burned and when electricity is generated and used as follows:
For combustion of fossil fuels:
For electricity — as generated:
- CO2, SO2, and NOx for electricity generated in each state for a specific year, in pounds per megawatthour, in Table 1 of State Electricity Profiles and averages for the United States.
- CO2, CH4, and N20 for electricity generated in each state and U.S. Census Region.
For electricity — as consumed:
- CO2 , CH4, and N20 for electricity consumed in U.S. electricity market regions and in other countries. These factors were used by participants in EIA's Voluntary Reporting of Greenhouse Gas Emissions program.
A source of emission factors for other substances and fuels is the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Last updated: March 4, 2013
Other FAQs about Environment
- Does EIA report water vapor emissions data?
- How do I convert between short tons and metric tons?
- How does the hole in the ozone layer affect global warming?
- How much carbon dioxide (CO2) is produced per kilowatt-hour when generating electricity with fossil fuels?
- How much carbon dioxide (CO2) is produced when different fuels are burned?
- How much carbon dioxide is produced by burning gasoline and diesel fuel?
- Why do carbon dioxide emissions weigh more than the original fuel?
- How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
- What are greenhouse gases and how do they affect the climate?
- What are the energy-related carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by source and sector for the United States?
- What are the greenhouse gas and air pollutant emissions factors for fuels and electricity?
- What are the sources of energy-related carbon dioxide emissions by type of fuel for the United States and the world?