U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How much of world energy consumption and electricity generation is from renewable energy?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates that about 11% of world marketed energy consumption is from renewable energy sources (biofuels, biomass, geothermal, hydropower, solar, and wind) with a projection for 15% by 2040.1
EIA estimates that about 21% of world electricity generation was from renewable energy in 2011,2 with a projection for nearly 25% in 2040.3
1 International Energy Outlook 2013, Figure 2. World energy consumption by fuel type, 1990-2040
2 International Energy Statistics, Electricity, Generation (most recent data available on the date of this update)
3 International Energy Outlook 2013, Chapter 5: Electricity, Figure 83. World net electricity generation by fuel, 2010-40
International Energy Statistics with historical data for the world, regions, and countries
Last updated: December 18, 2014
Other FAQs about General Energy
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have energy prices for countries?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of electric power plants and transmission lines in the United States?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How do I cite information on EIA's website in a bibliography?
- How many smart meters are installed in the U.S. and who has them?
- How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
- How much energy does a person use in a year?
- How much energy is consumed in residential and commercial buildings in the United States?
- How much energy is consumed in the world by each sector?
- Where can I find out about energy-related grants or tax credits for my home or business?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Who do I contact to complain about high energy prices?
- How much of world energy consumption and electricity generation is from renewable energy?
- What is the United States’ share of world energy consumption?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?